2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lazy’s Coral House Build Thread  (Read 31867 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Lazy’s Coral House Build Thread
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2019, 19:37:38 »
Well, I thought you were going with all new lighting for some reason. Maybe because you sold those SO26’s. It would have been a testament to the Ocean Revives (and probably still is considering you’re using what has worked) had you just bought new ones.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2019, 22:56:29 »
I sold the others because some of the blue leds needed replaced. It was easier and quicker to replace the entire fixiture for a new one and write off as a business expense rather than replace a few individual leds in each

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2019, 23:16:33 »
Hey Brian I’m curious,  were you able to keep most of you live stock alive through the transfer and build?  If so my hats off to and who ever helped you. The logistics of it all would scare the crap out of me!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2019, 00:27:42 »
I didn’t loose corals in the move which consisted of LPS and Softies. However for a month leading up to the move (sept/oct) while the new house was under construction I had issues with and lost quite a bit of sps. I was to busy at that time to troubleshoot. Fortunately Jeff (jjoos99) offered to host them. They have been with him since end of October. I plan to pick them back up over the next couple weeks. I was lucky and am extremely thankful to have someone with his reefkeeping skill to care for them over the past 3 months. I got to visit with him sometime back and was super impressed with how they look and how he cared for them like they were his own.

The actual move was fairly easy. I didn’t reuse anything from the old system other then the live rock. The tanks and equipment were new and setup with water and live rock a couple days prior. The coral move happened in a few hours. Within a couple days after the move I noticed immediate improvement in coral health and carbonate uptake. The old system was neglected and there was likely a water chemistry issue due to my lack of attention.
Had I had to tear down and setup same gear/tanks it would have been a nightmare. The planning began 3 months prior so I had quite a bit of time to figure out what I was going to do.

On another note, I have the first order of Aussie and Belize corals coming in tomorrow.

If anyone has decent size sps or euphyllia colonies for sale text me pics/price

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:17 »
 :alas:  Thanks for the kind words.  I'm just glad that I was able to turn them around. Regrettably I did loose several of yours and mine while fighting the increased alkalinity demand.  Doubling the load of corals put quite a demand on trying to keep up with the alk levels.  Just when I thought that I had my co2 reactor set right the corals would become happy and everything would start growing more and my levels would drop again.  There for a while I had quite the alk. see saw.
  You know that is what is great about this hobby if someone needs a helping hand we are all there to help with what ever it takes.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2019, 00:58:38 »
Today was a great day. Got the electrical complete. Ran 3, 20 amp circuits, installed under tank power and wired all the light racks.  Next up i will either build the frag racks or install the components. Apex, dosers, fluid monitoring modules, break out boxes, leak detectors, probes etc..

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2019, 01:36:26 »
Looking very nice Brian. That is awesome of Jeff to help you out during your busy time with the move.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2019, 08:07:25 »
Looks great Brian! Where have you had the big daddy Emporer and the Queen?

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2019, 10:05:42 »

Very nice Brian - Are you still planning on having a 'Tech Talk Day Opening' for the club members?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2019, 11:32:38 »
Rick how about feb 9 for the tech day/ Ohio Reef exclusive. If there isn’t a club meeting yet for feb we can make it into that. Jesse the emperor is in the middle tank. I lost the queen angel about eight months ago due to some unknown illness. It hid for about two weeks and then turned up dead.  Thanks Matt; Jeff is an awesome dude I fell very greatfull for his help

Offline erinwalling

• Juvenile
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2019, 12:00:58 »
Sounds good to me!

Rick how about feb 9 for the tech day/ Ohio Reef exclusive. If there isn’t a club meeting yet for feb we can make it into that. Jesse the emperor is in the middle tank. I lost the queen angel about eight months ago due to some unknown illness. It hid for about two weeks and then turned up dead.  Thanks Matt; Jeff is an awesome dude I fell very greatfull for his help

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:16 »
Great,  how about noon-2

Offline erinwalling

• Juvenile
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2019, 12:51:49 »
Sounds perfect. We will create a sign up page. Thank you

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2019, 16:19:39 »

Sounds great Brian - looking forward to it - Thanks Erin for organizing!!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2019, 19:29:57 »
Thank you For organizing and the suggestion for having it.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2019, 20:04:04 »
Thank you For having us.   

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2019, 01:24:00 »
I spent 4-8 hours a day for past week cleaning up the corals. What a PIA. Every coral got inspected. Any dead parts cut off, algae removed and any other imperfection dealt with, re-plugged/mounted. That was a lot of work but dang it looks good. Now I just need everything to grow. Alk consumption is at an all time low in 10 years. Hopefully we will have lift off soon!

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2019, 13:22:39 »
Will you still be open this Saturday? If so what times!?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2019, 13:55:20 »
Unfortunatley I need to delay the opening. I Thought for sure I would finish completing  what I needed to open but my week didn’t go as planned. Sorry

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2019, 23:30:52 »
System has a case of the uglies. Two much new surface area. All the new frag racks and plugs. Yuck! Being a OCD person makes this stage of new builds very unpleasant. The corals don’t like all the chaos going on from the surface area wars. Been so many years since I have had to deal with this mess.  :th_surrender: :Tank:

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2019, 08:12:15 »
System has a case of the uglies. Two much new surface area. All the new frag racks and plugs. Yuck! Being a OCD person makes this stage of new builds very unpleasant. The corals don’t like all the chaos going on from the surface area wars. Been so many years since I have had to deal with this mess.  :th_surrender: :Tank:

slow and steady wins the cycle race!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2019, 09:05:02 »
What uglies are you fighting Brian? Dino’s?

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2019, 14:10:33 »
I’m right behind you on a smaller scale.  The ugly phase is the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2019, 20:38:50 »
I feel ya gurlag.
Jesse at the moment just the typical brown. I did have Dino’s for a couple weeks as well. That was pleasant.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2019, 21:10:17 »
I feel ya gurlag.
Jesse at the moment just the typical brown. I did have Dino’s for a couple weeks as well. That was pleasant.
Ah. Browns are ugly but nothing a good troop of snails can’t handle. Dino’s are the worst. Very time consuming siphoning them daily. I’ve finally beat them back for now.