2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sump Plans are Here  (Read 4028 times)

kahuna

Sump Plans are Here
« on: November 06, 2007, 21:59:31 »
Hey, Y'all:

I've designed a sump/fuge combo for my new 90g reef tank.  The drawings are in AutoCAD and have been converted to PDF's for your use. 

The first design to be posted is a sump that houses a Euro-Reef RS80 skimmer in-sump and is designed for an in-sump recirc pump.  The refugium area is generous and there are mounts for two 4" filter socks as well as various probes.  Each sump design consists of a 3-view drawing and 2 or more sheets showing the sizes of the components.  They are designed to print out at 11 X 17, but will be OK at 8 1/2 X 11.  The first parts print is for 3/8" acrylic sheet, and the second print is for 1/4" acrylic sheet.

These drawings are for your free use as users of this forum.  Please respond with advice, changes, improvements, etc., and I will update the drawings as work/school/family time allows.

Cheers!

Kev :drink
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 22:06:21 by Kahuna »

Offline JoeAyers

Re: Sump Plans are Here
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:13:03 »
Looks good.  Are you going to build this?  Have you priced all the material yet?

kahuna

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:24:00 »
Yes.  This design is specific to my tank (90), skimmer footprint (Euro-Reef RS80), and in-sump pump size.  I actually looked at some other sumps out there, plus Joel at Aquariums Etc was a big help answering a lot of dumb questions from me.

I'm going to ask John (joncat24) in Middletown to quote the building of it.  I could do it but need a table saw and time, both of which I have none of.  I'm thinking $200-300 to have it built.

Kev

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:39:20 »
We used to have a member that was local who built sumps, but then he went off an abandoned us!!!

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:50:40 »
Let me know when you get a quote back. I would like to someday upgrade my sump.

My only comment on the design, which is excellent by the way, is I would make the top plate of the filter sock holder removable with a handle. I think it's a PIA to get filter socks out and it would be nice if you could lift the whole thing out.

kahuna

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:56:14 »
That could be done with a modification to the top brace, but then I'd probably add 1/4 turn unions to the overflow lines so that the entire assembly comes out as well.  I'll think about it and get back to you.

Good idea. ;)

Kev

bigfalcon36

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 02:47:43 »
We used to have a member that was local who built sumps, but then he went off an abandoned us!!!

I could definetly build this sump, the problem is the distance that I am from you guys.  With that said, if anyone needs any help/advice from someone that used to build sumps let me know and I'll help if I can.

These drawings are for your free use as users of this forum.  Please respond with advice, changes, improvements, etc., and I will update the drawings as work/school/family time allows.

Kev :drink

Kev,

There is some things wrong with your drawing, I'm not trying to be rude...but you may want to rewrite some of your measurements.

First thing is that you want to go with the 3/8" acrylic for strength...and make sure that the acrylic you use is Cell Cast...although the extruded will work.  You'll have a better end product with Cell Cast Acrylic.  Here are the measurements that I have for your sump:

Bottom = 44 " x 16"
Front = 44 " x 17 5/8"
Back = 44 " x 17 5/8"
2 Sides = 17 5/8 " x 15 1/4"
The baffles are the correct measurements.

The other recommendations that I have is to look at the refugium area (design #1).  I understand that water will be moving from left to right in the picture, but you may want to put teeth in the last bubble trap baffle to make sure that note Macro gets into the bubble trap. 

Second thing would be to do a calculation on the amount of water volume you have in the sump while your system is running vs. how much volume you'll need when you have the return pump off.  IE - if your power goes out, you need additional room in your sump for the water that runs out of your tank.  therefore, if you dont have enough room in your sump, it will overflow.

lastly, is the probe mount area for an Auto top off system as well as all the extra hardware? 

Just some stuff to think about...

Travis

kahuna

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:36:44 »
Hello, Travis:

Thanks for your comments. 

I see the typo for the heights on the plans and will update them. 

The parts page 1 (Bottom, sides, ends) is composed of all of the 3/8" parts.  Page 2 is all 1/4" parts. 

Wasn't sure about the teeth in the bubble trap, but will add it.  Figured that the flow over that top wall would keep the macro away.

There is room for approximately 13.8 gallons of backflow into the sump once the pumps are off.  That should be more than sufficient for a 90g.

The probe mounts are for temp, pH, ATO (may have to rethink this because the depth may not be right), and possibly something I haven't planned for yet.

I need a fuge builder, as the guy that was going to do mine is now too busy...  Want to build it?  PM me if you're interested.

Thanks.

Kev

bigfalcon36

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:32:13 »
Do you need some one to build the sump in the pdf's above or a seperate refugium?  Just kind of confused on that?  I like to do that kind of stuff, but like I said...I live about 7 hours away in PA.  I could ship it if you would want to do that...but it would probably be cheaper to fnd someone locally.  Let me know what you want to do.

kahuna

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:23:53 »
I need a sump.  There's one company that I need to call first.  Heck, right now I'm talking to a guy in Dallas, TX to build one.  My local guy is preoccupied...

I could meet you halfway, say in Wheeling, WV...

I'll let you know.

Kev

bigfalcon36

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 23:59:25 »
look up Melev on reefcentral.com, He does a nice job.  SO does Spazz on Reefcentral

kahuna

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:18:11 »
Melev is the guy 've been talking to in TX.  I'll check out Spazz.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kev

kahuna

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 14:27:19 »
Plans have been corrected.  Thanks again, Travis.

Kev

Offline satch12

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 00:15:22 »
hey travis its been a long time man... how you been cant pm yet for some reason but i just set my 24 nano back up and would kinda like to add a sump and could use some pointers i have a 29gal that i can use or a 10 gal but i would really like to use the 29 any pointers on where to place some stuff like the braces and pump... would be awesome...thanks

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 09:51:08 »
I have a 55 gallon I am going to be setting up as a sump for my 180 project.  How do you go about planning how high to make the baffles walls with in the different compartments?  I plan on having my skimmer in another container and having it drop into the first section of sump with baffles leading into the next section.
Thanks
Jeff

bigfalcon36

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 16:02:42 »
hey travis its been a long time man... how you been cant pm yet for some reason but i just set my 24 nano back up and would kinda like to add a sump and could use some pointers i have a 29gal that i can use or a 10 gal but i would really like to use the 29 any pointers on where to place some stuff like the braces and pump... would be awesome...thanks

Use the 29.  You just need to let me know what you want to do.  If you want a refugium, or just the usuall three baffle set up for a skimmer and a return pump.  The refugium is do-able...but a little more difficult with the room you have to work with.

I have a 55 gallon I am going to be setting up as a sump for my 180 project.  How do you go about planning how high to make the baffles walls with in the different compartments?  I plan on having my skimmer in another container and having it drop into the first section of sump with baffles leading into the next section.
Thanks
Jeff

This set up just depends on what you want to do.  Since you are going with an external skimmer, you could almost just forget the baffles as a bubble trap and use one single baffle to seperate a refugium and the return area.  The refugium and macro algea would trap all the micro bubbles before the water spills over into the return area.  As for the baffle height...its up to you, but I know most like the sump to be some what shallow...so maybe a third of the up from the bottom.