2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Air pump to lower pH - meet the Binford 3000 pH lowererererer...  (Read 2645 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
I recently learned that one could lower the pH of fresh saltwater by using an air pump, stone, and gawd knows what else to pump air into raw saltwater.  Got me an air pump, a stone, some tubing, fired it up, and said "Hey y'all, watchis..."  Whatever.  Result?  Feeble.  Crappy.  Weak.  Limp.  Flaccid.  You gotta be s|^ittin me.

Tossed all that in a bag and took it back where I got it.  Junk. :banghead

Using the principles of a carburetor (Scott, you'll love this), I got about 4 ft of 0.25" (that's a quarter inch to those who don't know :-ThumbUpsm) pvc tubing (cost at Lowes - $0.56), left one end out in the open, and stuck the other end of the tubing into the intake of my Mag 5 that was currently on saline recirculation duty.  WOW.  Like Alka-Seltzer, man.  I mean, salty water vapor filled the laundry room.  Didn't want to rust out the washer and dryer, so covered the trash can with a large towel.  Viola!  pH at 8.2 upon 2 hours of said areation.  Air pump and stone, my butt. 

Take that, Tim "the tool man" Taylor!

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
Re: Air pump to lower pH - meet the Binford 3000 pH lowererererer...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 22:25:26 »
 :smiley-happy112:  Love it.  That used to be our favorite show of all time.

I just use a AC300 powerhead and point it up so it blows a jet of water above the water line.  Works for me.
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:51:11 »
ya use air pump on mine
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:23:11 »
A lot of times all we need to do is to get more air exchange at the surface.   Sometimes that is not enough.   Some of the newer homes that are sealed real well can cause low PH.  You need to pump fresh air from the outside.....normally just to your skimmer intake is fine.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:43:44 »
I use a venturi adapter on a mag 7 in my mixing tub aswell. Does a great job, accept for the salty mist you mentioned.