2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fish & New pics  (Read 4820 times)

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
Fish & New pics
« on: October 03, 2011, 14:58:01 »
I finally got some 3 stripped damsels(3 of them) for my tank..  My tank has been taken over by diatom algae.  I have 3 snails and 3 blue leg hermits..  Going Thursday to get a larger clean up crew..  I still test everyday and everything is perfect.  My coral is doing great.  Even the little bit that tore off and I thought wasn't going to make it is doing great..  I finally moved my one koralia against the rock to slow the flow down some and it worked so the waving hand anthelia isn't being blown away until it attaches itself to the rock.  I pick up my halide light on friday!! 

- deejay

Offline HUNGER

Re: Fish & New pics
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 16:10:16 »
looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 16:34:40 »
Good Deal!

Test your silicates(tank and waterchange/top off water aswell), and tell us what you get... Salifert makes a silca test for cheap, last for like 50 tests and is accurate
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 16:54:26 »
I did a 20 gallon water change two days ago.  I put it in a big bucket and let it set over night with a heater and pump and made sure the salinity was correct as well.

Here is my tank results as of right now..

Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.4
Temp: 79
Calcium: 450

are those wha ya mean by silicates?
- deejay

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 17:23:09 »
Sorry I may have said what I wanted to say wrong....

Silicates are a mineral. If your tank has a detectable amount you can see brown(diatom) algae growth... It mostly comes from your glass or water source(whatever you are using to change the water or top off with)... Brown algae is usually the first wave of algae and expected during a cycle... It is not neccesary for you to test, but you had asked earlier what kits you may need, this is something you may want to consider(especially since the kits are realtively cheap compared to the others, wanna say like $10 for 50 tests).  If you decide to test this, also test your watersource.

If the brown algae does not turn into green algae around weeks 7-10 you could have a build up of silicates... But from the pic it looks normal and fine for your progression.

Sorry for the confusion

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 18:05:12 »
OOOOH I understand now.  I'll pick up one this coming week when I pick up my halide light.

Is silicates easy to get rid of to get rid of the brown algae?

Is 400 good price for a 125 gallon 6ft tank, stand, and lights?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 18:14:19 by dee99gt »
- deejay

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 18:28:52 »
Is the tank a pre-drilled RR tank?  What kind of lights?  What is the stand like?  Those would determine if $400.00 is a good price.  :)

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 18:44:42 »
Is the tank a pre-drilled RR tank?  What kind of lights?  What is the stand like?  Those would determine if $400.00 is a good price.  :)

Its just a standard tank, with the same stand I have with my 55 and just standard fish tank lights.. nothing special..
- deejay

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 19:19:59 »
OOOOH I understand now.  I'll pick up one this coming week when I pick up my halide light.

Is silicates easy to get rid of to get rid of the brown algae?

No rush, it's just one of those tests that is good to have around, considering the price... and right now you want the brown algae; its normal to have it. If it continues much past 10ish weeks or becomes overly abundant then we'll worry about taking care of it. :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 20:24:50 »
Its just a standard tank, with the same stand I have with my 55 and just standard fish tank lights.. nothing special..

I think you could find a better deal.  Jmho

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 20:55:04 »
I shall wait then.

I've been reading and researching about wet/dry & refugiums.  I am going to build my own 3 chamber.  Not sure if I want to use a 10 gallon or 20 gallon (long).
- deejay

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 20:59:49 »
If you can fit a 20 use a twenty if not use the biggest you can. Always better to go bigger IMO.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 21:25:15 »
I figured instead of putting it down below I'll just sit it beside my tank on a lower table/stand...  I am going to attempt a pvc overflow as well eventually...
- deejay

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 22:26:29 »
u need to make sure the sump u use will be big enough to hold all the watter if u lose power or u shot every thing down  the sump will be half full if not more so with a 20 gallon ur left with only 6 yo 8 gallons if u have a 150 about 10 to 15 gallons of watter from it go to ur sump and plus if u have a skimmer and what ever else u have running i would go no less than a 55 or 75
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:40 »
  I have 3 snails and 3 blue leg hermits..  Going Thursday to get a larger clean up crew..

I would wait on getting a larger clean up crew.

Now this is IMO but I think you are rushing the clean up crew a bit. There is  really nothing to clean up until the tank get a little more established. Let the brown algae die down a bit, and once you get some green algae established, you can reevaluate the situation.

Tank looks great  :-ThumbUpsm   
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 21:19:50 »
Here is a new pic to date.  My leather toadstool, kenya trees, and my powder brown that I've had for about a week now thats doing great and eating really well.  My main concern when I got him the damsels was going to bother him, but he quickly showed them who was boss and they all get along peacefully now.  We decided that we are going to have our floor reinforced so I can go up to at least at 180 - 220 before spring comes, cause I can't wait much longer and my tang will need a bigger thank by then.  I have 2 blue plus, aquablue special, and some other blue bulb, but it will be replaced with a purple plus.  Have to reorder another one.  I had a friend who had a freshwater tank with a t5 on it and he took mine and gave me his.  He took my old one apart and fixed it and he said it was a pain.  I love the way it looks.

- deejay

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 21:20:49 »
looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 21:22:48 »
Thanks. ^-^  I was really worried and stressed when my t5 bulbs would no go in and my tank was without a light all day until around 6... 
- deejay

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 00:00:43 »
Looking good Dee.   Rock work is really nice.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 00:17:55 »
Looks great! coming along nicely.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 02:11:17 »
have you made a refugium yet for your tank. i have my refugium set up next to my tank and have pvc running my overflow and my return. works nice cause i didnt have enough room to fit a tank under my stand but your tank looks great.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 18:12:21 »
Thanks everyone =) 

I actually got a overflow box and tubing from a friend for free since he didn't need it and then I picked up a new refugium for 80 bucks...  I just have to decide on what type of pump to get..  I really wanted to do my own but maybe on my bigger tank.  do you have any pictures of yours hatcher? 
- deejay

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 19:26:22 »
Looking good idk if youve bought the clean up crew yet then i would suggest reefs 2 go theyve got great deas
90 gallon shallow

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 19:29:45 »
I have 7 blue leg hermits and 2 snails and thats all the clean up crew I have.  Is it time for me to get some more clean up crews?  How about a cleaner shrimp?
- deejay