2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Vicki's 14G biocube  (Read 20728 times)

Offline HUNGER

Re: Vicki's 14G biocube
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 17:48:14 »
nice looken clown
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 19:14:47 »
Are you going to split the line by adding a wye loc line and two nozzles? or use PVC to to run a nozzle to the opposite side? Pump upgrade?

Probably not going to do a pump upgrade just yet, would like to but cash is strapped right now.  Probably just going to use the locline and split that way, all i really need is flow going towards the front of the tank and then with the other side of the split going along the back of the tank towards the intake.  I have the powerhead right at the front (opposite corner to the outflow) buffering the flow from the outflow and it seems to be creating a still patch right in the middle of the tank and right in the back corner (probably both back corners) is a dead spot. 

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 19:15:32 »

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 19:34:31 »
Probably not going to do a pump upgrade just yet, would like to but cash is strapped right now.  Probably just going to use the locline and split that way, all i really need is flow going towards the front of the tank and then with the other side of the split going along the back of the tank towards the intake.  I have the powerhead right at the front (opposite corner to the outflow) buffering the flow from the outflow and it seems to be creating a still patch right in the middle of the tank and right in the back corner (probably both back corners) is a dead spot. 

Right on!

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 03:03:54 »
Hey just a heads up there is a guy on Ebay that makes LED kits for biocube's and they are pretty reasonibly priced, i looked at one for my biocube8 and it is only like $75. It bolts in place of your PC lighting and doesnt cover up the moonlights. I am hoping to order one for mine soon, just thought I would pass the info on.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 08:51:32 »
Hey just a heads up there is a guy on Ebay that makes LED kits for biocube's and they are pretty reasonibly priced, i looked at one for my biocube8 and it is only like $75. It bolts in place of your PC lighting and doesnt cover up the moonlights. I am hoping to order one for mine soon, just thought I would pass the info on.

Thanks.  I currently don't have moonlights, it's a used biocube and the store lost the power adapter so i'm looking for a new one.  I'll look on ebay for the LED's, it would be easier than making them myself.

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 20:10:24 »
Thanks.  I currently don't have moonlights, it's a used biocube and the store lost the power adapter so i'm looking for a new one.  I'll look on ebay for the LED's, it would be easier than making them myself.
Yeah one of mine is dim so I was looking for a replacement last night online, If you google biocube parts and search there were serveral places that carried the the power adapter, But you could probably go to radioshack and get a power adapter that would work just as good. I will double check when I get home from work but I am pretty sure that all it is is the plug and cord, nothing special. I'm not an electrical expert though, I am sure there are some guys on here that know more then me when it comes to that.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 21:51:05 »
Haven't updated in a while, busy with work and school.  The tank is coming along great, everything has new growth, i did lose a small colony of misc zoas to the pox which was unfortunate but everything else looks great. 

Try to ignore the dirty glass and the PO looking GSP.  That green devils hand on the sand bed is usually attached to the rock bridge but was taken down last week so i could remove some bubble algae which was annoying it.  I'm still looking for something wonderful to fill that ledge, i'm hoping i can find a nice hammer at the fragswap.

Darcy the Picasso clown is still around, becoming male if the behaviour is anything to go by.  He currently is living (or should i say is being forced to live) under a rock. 

His not so nice lady friend Lizzy is bossing him around a little too much.  Once things settle down they'll make a good looking pair.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:45 »
Looks great that one clown has some great markings
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 11:04:51 »
What a great looking tank !!!

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 11:05:19 »
Very nice!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 11:30:16 »
Thanks.  Yeah, he's a pretty nice looking clown.

Offline volcano

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 18:29:07 »
Nice bio cube.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 20:44:30 »
Thank you.  Sadly this tank had a catastrophic failure last weekend.  The bottom of the tank cracked and started to leak water.  All the rock and stock are now in a plastic tub in my living room and the biocube is at work being cursed at every time i see it :)

Today i switched my dwarf puffer into a 10 g tank and emptied his 20g, the reef will be moving into that tank sometime next week once i get the filtration sorted out.

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 20:46:50 »
Great looking tank!

If I may, RapidLed has a great retrofit for the BioCube...wish it had been available for mine when I upgraded.  Here's the link.  I would highly recommend dimmers though, even at 700ma it's easy to over-light the tank.  I used 6 Royal Blue and 6 Cool White without lenses on that fixture, which looked good.

Also, if you are looking for some cheap random flow, look into the Hydor Flo.  I had two in my 12g and loved them.

**Edit: LOL, apparently my timing is terrible.  Good luck with the new tank!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 21:16:39 »
I was looking into led retrofits for the biocube and then it died :(

Thanks.  20 g will be spectacular!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
Vicki's new and i'm sure much improved 20G reef :)
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 21:26:04 »
My reef came through the biocube's demise with only 1 casualty.  A moment of silence please for Titan the turbo :(  RIP...

Anyhoo, the biocube suffered a crack along the bottom panel, not sure how or why but there is no sense dwelling on things i can't fix.  Tank in a tub lasted about 2 weeks while i DIY-ed myself a nice 20g AIO.  I reused a lot of the equipment from the biocube because i am very poor and couldn't afford to get new stuff. 

voila!

(heater is gone, that was there during the move from tub to tank)

My fish are no longer fighting, Darcy's fins and tail are healing nicely and all the corals are doing just fine.  The lovely pink zoas i got at the swap already have new heads. 

My dad managed to find me a really nice sturdy light fixture so today i ordered a par38 bulb from LEDTriC.com which should be here in a few days. 

I'm keeping an eye out for a mini cycle but so far so good. 

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 21:32:46 »
Looks good.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 22:37:57 »
Glad to hear it went well
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 02:19:15 »
Personally, I think the rockscape in the new tank looks fantastic!  It's much more zen.

Are you sure the Biocube can't be fixed?

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 08:53:49 »
Thanks!!

Personally, I think the rockscape in the new tank looks fantastic!  It's much more zen.

Are you sure the Biocube can't be fixed?

I quite like the rockscape, i think it will grow on me. 

Not too sure really.  It looks like this:

I can maybe put another piece of glass over the bottoms piece and silicone it in place, not sure i really want to try in case i end up with a very wet floor.

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 22:42:14 »
I can maybe put another piece of glass over the bottoms piece and silicone it in place, not sure i really want to try in case i end up with a very wet floor.

That's a crazy break, but I think that fix would be fine without too much risk.  You could even use a thin piece of acrylic to get the shape right. Silicone the crack and bottom, drop in the new piece, seal the edges.  Could even do the same from the bottom for extra peace of mind.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 22:49:41 »
If you decide to sell it letme know how much. I could always use it for parts.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:05 »
Jeremy,  I might do that, if i can find the time, we're super busy at work so it would take me a while.

twizted, if i decide i am too lazy to fix it/ don't want it to start another tank i'll let you know.  I have the original top, the lights/fans work and the bulbs are pretty much brand new.