2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ashlar's 280 + fuge + fish room  (Read 27705 times)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
Ashlar's 280 + fuge + fish room
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:26:13 »
I'm finally getting started on the new tank build, so I figured I'd document this one better than the last one..

In our new (new to us, at least) house, one wall in my office backs up to an unused 13'x12' bedroom. After poking the ceiling with a hat pin and figuring out where the ceiling joists are and which way they run, I've determined that the wall isn't load-bearing (later confirmed with a small hole in the ceiling that will be for an exhaust fan). The plan is to cut out a large opening in the wall, frame it like an open doorway, and park a tank in it, with the bedroom serving as fish room.

I figure the tank will be 84" long, 24" tall, and 32" deep. I'll have a starphire front panel, two corner overflows, PVC bottom, and a metal stand that's 40" tall.

Here's the plan from DSA (the two drains in each overflow are for redundancy / emergency):

Here's a simple sketch of what I'm planning..

There'll be a set of panels on the top that either come off or lift up for front access, and the bottom panels will likely be doors, so that I have access to the sump from both front and back. A couple of days ago, I got out a level and some painter's tape to get a feel for how it should look. I have a couple of outlets to move, but that's relatively trivial.

In the fish room itself, I plan to have two 65g barrels plumbed inline for doing painless water changes, a 100g refugium, and about eight feet of counter space for qt tank / testing / microscopy / etc with cabinets above.

I've already taken out the mirrored closet doors and framing for the closet, to maximize the space in the room. I'll patch up the holes with drywall I carefully removed from around the closet.

Here's the plumbing plan for the water change vessels. By flipping two ball valves, I will instantly do a 65g water change.

I ran two 20a dedicated circuits to the room as well.

This is going to be a slow build. I'm going to pay down the credit card bill from ordering the tank and stand before I start moving on to sump, skimmer, pumps, cabinets, countertops, etc. Not only does this keep my blood pressure down, it also gives us time to do fun things..

I've decided to turn my wife loose on the walls before I clutter them up..

She's been looking at stencils.. :)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/64792896/stencil-large-octopus-wall-stencil?ref=v1_other_1
http://www.etsy.com/listing/60601878/stencil-for-walls-nautilus-large-stencil
http://www.etsy.com/listing/61232339/crustacea-wall-stencils-reusable-lobster?ref=v1_other_2
http://www.etsy.com/listing/61276160/stencil-jellyfish-large-wall-stencil?ref=sr_gallery_31
http://www.etsy.com/listing/79440240/stencil-sea-shells-set-of-three-these?ref=v1_other_2
http://www.stenciledinteriors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=0001&Category_Code=fish

To the person who invented popcorn ceilings: "May the fleas of one thousand camels infest your privates!"

Spent some time this weekend looking at paint chips, having samples mixed up, and daubing it on the walls..

I think we have a plan. Going for a sand textured paint from the floor up to about 40-42 inches, then a blue color from there up to the ceiling. We'll paint the bottom cabinets the same sandy color (without the sand texture) and the upper cabinets the same blue. We also found some sand-colored countertops.

We've got knock-down textured walls all over the house. As an experiment, I lightly sanded a patch in the closet, then put a skim coat of drywall compound over it with a tape knife, just to level the texture. A light sanding later, and it looks like a regular un-textured wall.

I'm going to paint it and make sure it doesn't crack or peel- if this works, I may do the same to all of the room above the 'sand' line.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Ashlar's 280 + fuge + fish room
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:08 »
Looking great dude, Can't wait to see it progress. HOW DO YOU FIND THE TIME!!!! lol
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:33:01 »
Well, to be fair, this is a condensation of about the last two weeks, hehe. Every evening when I get off work, I change clothes and go knocking around the room, doing various things.

This week, I'll set up to cut the hole for the tank, mark off where the cabinets will go (so that we don't waste paint behind them), and continue patching the spots where I took out the closet. I also need to sand / paint the ceiling and see about smoothing the walls, if that works out.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:04:29 »
Are you going to just mock a stand under the tank from the exterior of the room? Or are you actually going to extend the stand through the wall?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:21:35 »
The metal stand (and tank) will sit 3" in the wall. With a face frame / doors on the front, the bottom should look like a built-in cabinet. The tank won't be completely flush with the wall, but it'll be close.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:13:12 »
Cool Setup...... I've had an in-wall tank, which I loved.   Front Access is definitely key.   When I did my 180, I built it 1/2 in wall.   I set the tank in the walls to cover up the overflows, but I left the side panels for viewing.    Take a look at my build thread.......    It also gave me more room in the fish room :)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 13:05:09 »
Cool Setup...... I've had an in-wall tank, which I loved.   Front Access is definitely key.   When I did my 180, I built it 1/2 in wall.   I set the tank in the walls to cover up the overflows, but I left the side panels for viewing.    Take a look at my build thread.......    It also gave me more room in the fish room :)

That's an awesome build. My wife would love the border up around the ceiling.

Unfortunately, my tank is already being built, so if I wanted to change it, it'd be big $$ to make the sides starphire, too.

If my plans are correct, I'll have about 5.5' of open space behind the tank.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 14:19:09 »
Wow, that's all I got is wow.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 17:58:27 »
That's an awesome build. My wife would love the border up around the ceiling.

Unfortunately, my tank is already being built, so if I wanted to change it, it'd be big $$ to make the sides starphire, too.

Thanks.    The boarder came from Lowes, not sure if they still carry it.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 18:26:21 »
I did some poking around in outlet boxes and tracing of wires, I *think* I'm going to be able to add some outlets above the counter, and a switched light above the cabinets- maybe put in one of those dimmable / color-changing LED rope lights, have a blue glow in the room for a moonlight :)

And a couple of hours later..

One outlet moved, two added.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 23:05:32 by Ashlar »

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:42:28 »
Faster man, FASTER!

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:40:59 »
Dang that pesky job, getting in the way of building my fish room, hehe!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:11:17 »
Very Cool!

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 23:59:20 »
So not only do we have nasty 80's popcorn ceilings, but the whole house is filled with 'knockdown' textured walls. I tried a couple of different techniques for getting rid if it short of ripping out the drywall and starting from scratch. The easiest seems to be two coats of drywall compound, with sanding in between, right over the existing paint.

I got the first skim coat done on 3/4 of the room- got to mark out where the tank goes and I'll skim around that tomorrow..

I made sure to mark out where the cabinets go, no sense in wasting effort where it won't matter..

It looks weird as it dries, but the light spots are the high spots where little compound is sitting. The dark spots were the gaps that the compound filled in.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 23:55:21 »
Got the stand in, woot!

And I finished de-texturing the walls, painted the ceiling, and primed the walls. Tomorrow should start the fun painting.

I know, it isn't sexy like the stand, but I'm happy how it turned out.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 22:13:17 »
Well, slight change of plans for today.. the wife had some errands to run, so we didn't get started on the painting.

However.. I couldn't just let that pretty stand sit there..

Got the rough opening framed up..

And did a test fit for the stand..

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 22:47:01 »
I would love to have a set uplike that. That is going to be awsome. One question. Is that stand beefy enough for a 280g tank?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 23:15:34 »
Yup, it's 2" high strength steel. It'd actually hold a small car, hehe.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 00:16:29 »
That is going to be a nice setup and looks like you are making quick work of it.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 14:26:47 »
That is going to be a nice setup and looks like you are making quick work of it.

Well, it's going to slow down real soon.. I don't like keeping a balance on my credit card, so we'll be puttering around in the room for a while. We'll do the painting, and maybe the cabinets / countertop.

Once the card is paid down, then the fun will really start with refugium, sump, skimmer, pumps, additional lighting, water change barrels, etc.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 14:32:14 »
Do you have a water change barrel in mind? I am using a trash can at the moment. Next spring I am planning on doing a fish closet (not as fun as a room, but it's all I got).

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 15:07:45 »
Not to jack your thread ashlar....Joe, You can get used food grade barrels relatively cheap... I used to get some from a company my Father was contracted at, But they changed their disposal methods. So I can no longer get em, But there are several other companies in the area that sell these fairly cheap. Just make sure you check on what they used to contain... Alot of them come from Pepsi Co, and have syrups that are near impossible to get out of them.... Mine used to contain PH buffers(Up/Down) for a Baby food plant. They were triple rinsed and steam cleaned. They work great, Shame I can't get em anymore :(

My Father said he has permission to get some 100gal Sealed drums(they are square), They appear clean, But the previous contents are unknown.

Another alternative would be to ship a non marked Paint can or other "hazardous" Controlled Liquid..... LOL UPS/Fed Ex love to put them in these great yellow Hazard drums(regardless the size of the paint can) haha.... You even get to keep the drum!!!!!!! lol... j/k dont do that. They get rather upset.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 15:33:10 »
Yup, I have two water change barrels in mind.

Well, water change / additional water volume. One barrel on either side of the tank, both plumbed into the system like they were additional tanks plumbed into the same sump.

By flipping two ball valves, I can switch which one is part of the system. So each week, I'll alternate which one is part of the system, and which one is mixing new water for a water change.

I'm thinking either 65g or 75g 'tall' plastic drums. If my total system volume is ~550g, then a 65/75g weekly water change is sufficient.

There's a store here in town that sells these, but I'll probably keep shopping around-

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200328471_200328471

(This being Fort Worth, you can't swing a cow's tail without hitting a tractor supply / feed store.)

In the past I've used those 55g plastic barrels- they worked awesome for water changes on my previous tank. We have a Dr. Pepper bottling plant here, too.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 18:19:11 »
You think they would make me a 70 gal Dr. Pepper bottle?  :laugh:
Thats a great idea with the 2 barrels. I want a smaller 30-40 gallon one for top off & a 70-100 gallon for water changes. I only need about 30 gallon water changes. But, I would like to be able to do a huge change if needed. I want to make it as painless as possible. Like you are doing.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 00:04:15 »
Got the blue done and the first coat of the 'sand' color- it'll require one more coat.

Oh, and the fleur-de-lis was a test of how well stenciling works over the sand texture. Not bad if you go slowly.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 16:41:00 »
Second coat of 'sand' paint is done, so now we just wait for payday to order some stencils.

In the mean time, I'm playing with sketchup..

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 15:45:30 »
Today I ran a couple of network jacks to the fish room, for the apex and a pc that I will have hooked up to the microscopes.

Here's a couple more ideas for stencils (not that we'd put all of them in this place, or use these particular colors, but just for ideas..)

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 17:51:48 »
That is gonna be one nice fish room!
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 22:47:29 »
Thanks! I've been playing with more stencils..

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 01:50:09 »
Just a quick question what do you do for a living cause ur computer skills are awesome

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 10:03:13 »
It's not me, it's sketch-up. It's *really* easy to use.

http://www.sketchup.com/

Speaking of sketch-up.. I worked out the cabinet sizes, filler strips, etc today..

On the left side, the bottom is two 30" wide, 24" deep, 35" tall cabinets- one sink base, one with drawers. These are bracketed by two ~3" filler strips which gives room for the doors to open all the way. Above is two 30" x 30" x 12" wall cabinets with filler strips. On the right is one 36" and one 33" cabinet (x 24"D x 35"T), both with drawers, and a ~3" filler strip on the right side, to allow the drawer and door to open without hitting the door knob or trim. Same with the wall cabinets.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 12:05:45 »
Love the layout and stencils. It is going to be a sweet setup.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 19:58:46 »
Nice Fishroom layout. I am still in "Talks" with wife about procuring the room behing my tank for a sump room. I am chipping away little by little.....lol
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 21:01:01 »
Get her involved in the design of the room.. that always helps. *whistles innocently*

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 19:56:00 »
I picked up one set of cabinets this weekend. I should be hanging the wall cabinets tomorrow evening.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 23:00:48 »
Looks great. I thought for a min that was another sketch-up drawing.

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 14:53:40 »
looking good

hopefully when i get my next house i will be able to have a room dedicated to my reef set up as well

alot of my friends from where i used to live had rooms like this and its amazing what can be done

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 22:21:37 »
Looks great. I thought for a min that was another sketch-up drawing.

Hah! That means I did a good job on the implementation :)

Got both the top and bottom cabinets mounted tonight. I'll set up to paint all the doors and drawers tomorrow.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 20:48:48 »
It is pretty amazing how much it looks like your drawings. You have a lot of talents Ashlar. Good job.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 20:56:04 »
This is a sweet build!!
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 21:28:06 »
It is pretty amazing how much it looks like your drawings. You have a lot of talents Ashlar. Good job.

Thanks!

Is it silly that I'm already trying to figure out what will go where on the counter? Hehe.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 21:37:31 »
not silly at all, just meticulous

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 21:43:53 »
You can never have enough counter space.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 22:24:01 »
You left handed?

you have some seriously hard water?

lol :P

looking great

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 22:33:14 »
Yup, I'm left handed, why? What gave it away? Oh, the mouse! LOL!!

Our municipal water system likes to use chloramine.. the first filter will be a chloramine buster.

So it goes (from left to right)- chloramine pre-filter, sediment, 10um carbon, 5um carbon, RO, DI.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 19:07:18 »
I got the bottom cabinets' doors and drawers painted, working on the top ones..

And I found a free 3d render tool for sketch-up, hehe..

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 19:39:44 »
That 3d tool is sweet. Now I am going to look into sketch up.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 11:07:04 »
Whats the rendering tool called?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 13:01:23 »
Kerkythea 2008 is the name. http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=43

I also got the top cabinets' doors painted and installed..

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2012, 13:32:58 »
Moving right along.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 15:42:34 »
Wow! That's about 40 shades of awesome.....

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2012, 17:41:01 »
So we got some of the stencils delivered this week, here are a few tests. Now, we don't have all the colors we need, so ignore that. :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 20:52:53 »
Very cool!

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 10:47:58 »
I should be picking up the left set of cabinets Wednesday, as well as more stencils.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 22:37:45 »
Think I'm going to wait til next payday to get those other cabinets.. bills to pay, lol.

In the meantime, here's a short animation of the steps of the build..

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 00:28:57 »
I did pick up some cheap countertops for the cabinets.. got the right one installed..

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2012, 20:22:28 »
Today, I'm messing with wiring.

The microscopes on the counter are equipped with USB cameras, so that I can capture stills and video. They will be attached to a PC sitting in the lower cabinet, which also runs the display on the wall. In order to keep from having a mess of wires and having to put holes in the countertop, I'm going to run the wires in the wall.

I got the holes cut and the boxes installed as well as the electrical outlet ran. I ordered some USB keystone jacks (the local big box shop wanted $20 a piece, whereas amazon had them for $6).

After digging through my parts and cable bins, I need to pick up a long VGA cable for the monitor, as well as some USB extension cables.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 17:25:19 »
My wife's weekend project turned out well. She took a standard vinyl roller shade and painted it with the same latex paint we used on the walls. It rolls up and down just fine without cracking or peeling.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 12:18:15 »
That is a neat idea with the blind. This is getting better and better.
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 13:59:47 »
That is a neat idea with the blind. This is getting better and better.

We figured it was a $7 experiment. If it looked like dog poo, or cracked, we could just get another shade.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 10:14:46 »
My guy at the fish store called yesterday and said that my tank is ready. I'm going to see if the movers who moved us in will take it down the stairs. If *they* break it, their insurance kicks in. Should be a pretty straightforward proposition, once the railings come down.

Just to make absolutely sure it would fit, I modeled up the path it will have to take and slid the tank along that route.

Last night I also tested out some of my stencils over the blue / sand paint.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 10:26:53 »
Looks like the tank move was planned out well.......but the model shows water in the tank, you might not want to do that >:D

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 10:28:22 »
LOL, you caught that, eh? hehe

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 17:21:19 »
I think you are in the wrong biz. You should design & decorate fish rooms for a living. Everything looks awsome.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 17:44:55 »
I think you are in the wrong biz. You should design & decorate fish rooms for a living. Everything looks awsome.

Thanks! Since we're taking it so slow, I've got a lot of time to plan and play. :)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2012, 20:38:48 »
I got the monitor mounted tonight. I still need to get a long VGA cable for it.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2012, 22:02:41 »
Starting on the clean up crew already. Lol

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 22:07:10 »
He wanted to check his myspace page. Didn't have the heart to tell him the pc wasn't on.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 09:33:40 »
Ugh. last night I put together a punch down list of all the things that need to get done / bought.

I really depressed myself.

To-do:
-deliver / move tank downstairs
-stencil the room
-run drain and supply lines to back of left cabinet
-left cabinets
--paint cabinets
--install cabinets
--paint doors & drawers
--install countertop
--install sink
--plumb sink
--caulk sink and countertop
-install under-cabinet lights
-install LED rope lights
-mount ro/di
-trim the tank opening
--phase 1: jamb and casing
-start cooking existing rock
-build plywood sandwich between tank and stand, paint edge black, bottom w/ kilz
-place stand in opening & level
-place plywood sandwich
-place tank on stand and level
-place bottom plywood
-install sump
-install skimmer
-install heaters
-plumb tank
-install mp-40s
-fill tank, level, and leak test
-hang electrical cabinet
-wire electrical cabinet
-hang LED lights
-install apex + probes
-install main tank cams
-install refugium
-plumb refugium
-install refugium lighting
-install microscope cams
-install humidistat
-install bathroom vent fan
-install & plumb water change barrels
-toe kick on right cabinets
-toe kick on left cabinets
-baseboards
-trim the tank opening
--phase 2: front facade
-patch guest room closet ceiling hole

To-buy:
-left cabinets
-sink
-faucet
-drain basket & trap
-drain piping
-supply piping
-island air vent
-cables:
--10' vga cable
--3 2' USB cables
--3 4' USB cables
--2 cat5 keystone jack
--3 2' cat5 cables
-under counter lighting
-LED rope light for above cabinets
-water change barrels
--bulkheads
--supply piping
-ceiling fan or light fixture
-office stool for microscope work
-sump
-skimmer
-heaters
-biopellet reactor
-return pump
--manifold components
--return bulkhead
--loc-line
-drain items
--4 x bulkheads
--durso components x 2 (open drain on the 'emergency' pipes)
--pipe
--pipe clamps / hangers
-refugium
--refugium lighting
--refugium plumbing components
-electrical panel components
--18" tall x 30" wide cabinet?
-UPS batteries
-egg crate for temporary tank bottom protection
-dowels for aquascaping
-sand for fuge
-sand for main tank?
-additional rock?
-additional lighting for main tank (MH or more LED)
-closet maid heavy duting shelving and braces for light rack
-40g breeder for fish qt + HOB filter
-bathroom ceiling exhaust fan + piping + outside vent
-humidistat

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:23 »
Don't be depressed. You may have a lot to do/buy, but it's going to be awsome.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 11:05:46 »
HAHA! I used to do this with all my hobbies... I don't even think about it anymore....

Word to the wise, always burn your list afterwards... NEVER let the wife find/see it! lol

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 11:14:20 »
Oh she knows, she added a few things I'd overlooked. We went into this with eyes wide open.

As I said in the first post, this will be a slow build.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 12:24:34 »
Oh she knows, she added a few things I'd overlooked. We went into this with eyes wide open.

As I said in the first post, this will be a slow build.

It is always good to see the spouses getting involved! Following along.
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 23:46:11 »
Before the left cabinets go in, I'm going to run the plumbing to where the sink will be. Luckily, I have a bathroom one room down on the same side of the house, so it's just a matter of running drain and supply lines.

I cut some holes in the wall in the bedroom between the fish room and the bathroom, and found exactly where the existing pipes are. I continued cutting that drywall out around the room to the wall behind where the sink will be, making sure I had 1/4" drop per horizontal foot of run. Rather than go old school with copper and a torch, I'll pop on some copper to CPVC fittings, which will make the supply runs much easier. Under the sink I'll run a p-trap and a studor vent.

I then got the 2.5" drain holes cut- I still need to mark and drill the supply line holes above these holes.

Luckily my wife wants wainscotting in that bedroom, that'll save me from having to patch up the holes to a finished quality.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2012, 08:29:02 »
Must have not been any easy basement access? Good thing for wains coating, Im not dry wall finisher myself.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 08:52:26 »
This is the basement, so can't go any lower, hehe.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:01 »
I was looking @ your RO/DI in your mock up. There is 4 plus 1 by itself. What do you plan to use in each? I am asking because I am start to plan mine out now & don't really know what to use.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 09:26:45 »
Well, our municipal water board likes to add lots of chloramine to the water supply in the summer months (when we get water from a different source), so I added in a chloramine buster filter in the summer.

So it goes chloramine buster -> 20um sediment filter -> 10um carbon -> 5um carbon -> RO -> DI.

In my previous house, I didn't have to worry about chloramine, but it was an older house, so there was a lot of sediment in the lines, so I had two sediment filters

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
Re: Re: Ashlar's 280 + fuge + fish room
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:27 »
This is the basement, so can't go any lower, hehe.

Ah I see.. lol. Looking great! Looking forward to rest of build.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2012, 19:43:51 »
Well, we broke down and started stenciling..

Started with all the supplies..

Then I took a piece of cardboard and tore chunks out of it, making a nice ragged, random edge. I used that edge as a stencil to make 'rocks'..

Then I did the first layer of color..

And then we added the highlight / contrast colors.

Tomorrow I'll start on the 'corals' above the right counter, and maybe the sea grasses / sea horses, if I'm fast enough.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2012, 18:19:25 »
Got a few more done today.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2012, 22:02:24 »
Sweet! Gotta love it.
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2012, 22:04:24 »
Sweet! Gotta love it.

Thanks!

Forgot a couple..

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2012, 21:36:20 »
Got started on the sea grass stencils..

I'll flip the stencil around and do another layer, with sea horses interleaved with it.

But in more interesting news, the tank has been delivered to my garage!

The movers come on Friday to carry it downstairs.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 21:47:11 »
Time to get down to business. You going to leak test it in the garage?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2012, 22:14:21 »
Nah, I'll wait til I have it on a leveled stand before I add water.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 11:43:29 »
Yeah you gotta get it in the house, so that if it does leak that you not only get another new tank but a new living room... DUH!

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 11:50:00 »
Well, I also want to make sure that all the handling and tipping that will have to be done to move it downstairs doesn't cause a leak. A leak test right now wouldn't give me much confidence that it wouldn't leak once it's downstairs.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2012, 10:27:06 »
The tank is in the basement!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2012, 10:37:06 »
That is exciting... Looking good Ashlar

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2012, 10:39:12 »
Cool.  Did the move go as modeled?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2012, 10:49:48 »
You not worried about wobble on that stand?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2012, 10:55:51 »
Cool.  Did the move go as modeled?

Yup, exactly as modeled.. well, with the addition of a few moving pads when the tank was sitting on one edge or another.

You not worried about wobble on that stand?

Nope, that stand is strong as a brick outhouse- 2" high strength steel.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2012, 20:26:10 »
Got a few small items taken care of today.. got the opening trimmed out- at this point just the casement and base trim. The full trim out happens after the tank is in place.

And I got the PC cables ran, with USB ports on the counter for the microscope cameras..

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2012, 00:31:09 »
You ever thought about teaching onlineglasses on how to use sketchup? I down loaded it to plan out a major bathroom remodel. I am lost!

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:52 »
Lookin forward to see more....Nice work

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2012, 09:43:26 »
You ever thought about teaching onlineglasses on how to use sketchup? I down loaded it to plan out a major bathroom remodel. I am lost!

http://www.harwoodpodcast.com/sketchup

Start at lesson one. This guy is annoying to listen to, but he does a good job.

Lookin forward to see more....Nice work

Thanks!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2012, 13:08:43 »
I will check it out. Thanks.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2012, 15:01:43 »
Testing out some stencils.. these require a bit more artistic talent than the others. If they look like dog poo on the wall, that's what paint is for. :)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2012, 21:10:45 »
Been a bit slow this week..

Got the tank moved into place..

And we puttered around with more stencils..

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2012, 16:02:26 »
been following this build and i love the fish room that you are doing

now to convince my fiancee...........lol

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2012, 20:16:59 »
been following this build and i love the fish room that you are doing

now to convince my fiancee...........lol

Get her involved in the process.. worked for me. :)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2012, 18:14:23 »
Been a busy week at work, getting ready for the holidays and SOX compliance crap for the end of the year.

A couple of days ago, I added the sea horses, another layer of sea grasses, and the sand dollar..

And around the corner, I parked the weedy / leafy sea dragon..

Today I finished the drain plumbing for the new sink. I had to move a 2" vent that was in the way, then run my new drain line into the existing branch.

Here's the other end where it pokes through the wall in the fish room:

Tomorrow I'll tackle the supply lines.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2012, 20:26:36 »
Looks great

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2012, 22:31:03 »
Got the supply lines done yesterday..

I'm pleasantly surprised with those push-on fittings.

And I got the left lower cabinet painted and installed today. I still need to fit a toe kick over the bottom, but that's a matter of minutes.

Tomorrow, I should be working on the countertop and maybe painting the upper cabinets.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2012, 21:47:27 »
Got the countertop done, and the upper cabinets painted and hung.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2012, 22:40:22 »
Got the doors painted on the cabinets..

(I know, so not a sexy update, hehe.)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2012, 05:09:08 »
It looks great

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2012, 23:28:58 »
Thanks!

Since then, I've done a few more stencils..

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2013, 18:23:44 »
And one more..

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2013, 18:52:16 »
Great job

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2013, 21:26:24 »
And one more..

This one is my favorite.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2013, 21:33:23 »
Thanks. Here's my punch-down list of things yet to do..

To-do:
-stencil the room -- 40-50% complete
-right cabinets
--install knobs
-left cabinets
--install sink
--plumb sink
--caulk sink
--install knobs
-install under-cabinet lights
-install LED rope lights above cabinets
-mount ro/di
-start cooking existing rock
-level stand / tank in opening
-install sump
-install skimmer
-install heaters
-plumb tank
-install mp-40s
-fill tank, level, and leak test
-hang electrical cabinet
-wire electrical cabinet
-hang LED lights
-install apex + probes
-install main tank cams
-install refugium
-plumb refugium
-install refugium lighting
-install microscope cams
-install humidistat
-install bathroom vent fan
-install & plumb water change barrels
-trim the tank opening
--phase 2: front facade
-patch guest room closet ceiling hole

It looks like a lot, but that's about 2/3 less than what I started with.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2013, 18:02:02 »
My wife's been stenciling a few fish on the walls..

Should have another one to post today or tomorrow.

And I ordered the ceiling light from http://www.bigshipsalvage.com -

And this was just too cool to pass up.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2013, 21:56:12 »
One more fishie done..

And an overview of this section of wall..

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2013, 22:18:15 »
Those are pretty cool.   

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2013, 07:22:17 »
I love the detail that you are putting into this tank!

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:41 »
Thanks! Things are about to slow down, as I need to pay down the credit card before I start ordering supplies for the tank itself.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2013, 22:37:50 »

My wife finished up a few more..

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2013, 00:49:14 »
Well, this nasty flu has laid both me and the wife low since Monday.

Today I turned over the rock I've been dying under and installed the overhead light and sign.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2013, 17:53:31 »
Good stuff everything looks great

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2013, 17:55:03 »
Nice nostalgia. Any idea which ships these lights came from?
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2013, 18:26:41 »
Unfortunately, no, no idea. The guy works with a ship salvage yard in Bangladesh, which is apparently one of the few places left where big ships go to die. He travels over there when a big ship comes in, and identifies the types of fixtures he's interested in. He has a crew that then scours the ship for those kinds of items before the ship is scrapped. All kinds of ships show up, from tugs and cargo ships, to ocean liners. His crew then strips out anything electrical, so that the customs taxes on it are the same as bulk scrap, then when it's in the US, he cleans stuff up and re-wires it.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2013, 14:53:08 »
That is a sweet salvage operation. I may have to look into a few peices for my slice of the ocean. Thanks for sharing.
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2013, 15:31:14 »
Yeah, I could easily blow a couple of paychecks just on cool nic-nacs.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2013, 13:16:23 »
I got some sheets of shell tatouage in the mail yesterday. They're a pain in the backside over the sand paint, but they do look cool..

They're a rub transfer kind of thing- not a sticker, it's more like a dried bit of paint that rubs onto the wall.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2013, 16:09:25 »
They have some nice depth to them.

Offline rickwebste

• Egg
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2013, 22:44:18 »
Wow, you are doing a great job.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2013, 11:21:17 »
Thanks! Things are on hold at the moment while we let funds recharge.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2013, 12:01:52 »
Can I get one of those recharges? :)

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2013, 12:53:52 »
I dont know how you can stand not having water in that tank!!!!  Whats the timeline estimate for all your equipment?  How long you gonna have it up and running before you start adding your goodies?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2013, 15:05:55 »
Well, the next major purchase will be sump, return pump, and skimmer. Once that's purchased, I'll start cooking the dry rock I've got waiting in the garage. Probably looking at a month or two.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2013, 15:54:58 »
Where is all your livestock? Did you start over with the move or did you put it in a tub.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2013, 16:47:08 »
A buddy of mine is holding some livestock for me. He runs a fish store, and he's enjoying having folks asking about the big corals, and why they're not for sale. :)

• Adult
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2013, 20:19:43 »
you should sell them corals and get some fast cash so you can build your sump, ect.... and then start growing them over in thier new spots in your reef.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2013, 20:27:25 »
Nah, some of them are 8+ years old. They're like members of the family :)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2013, 15:24:22 »
Been a while since I updated this thread..

I've installed and plumbed the sink..

And then I cleaned up and mounted the RO/DI. I ran the supply and waste lines inside the wall to the space under the cabinets

Afterward, I installed LED strip lights under the cabinets..

I also installed all the cabinet knobs and set up the microscopes..

And I put in a rope light above the cabinets for a room moon light.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2013, 16:32:06 »
Wow that is super nice. Someday... someday..

Offline Coraltastic

• Fry
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2013, 19:35:50 »
Wow I must say wow, mouth open, eyes wide wow! Love it if the room looks this good cant wait to see how the tank is going to turn out.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2013, 19:49:42 »
We did something fun with the cameras and the tank..

http://srv.rowelab.com/fish/camera/

Once the picture comes up, click 'spin the fish'.

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2013, 19:58:30 »
Looks great and man one day my fish room wants to grow up to be just like your fish room

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2013, 23:17:11 »
We did something fun with the cameras and the tank..

http://srv.rowelab.com/fish/camera/

Once the picture comes up, click 'spin the fish'.

Don't go thru much fish food do yea? Lol

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2013, 23:25:30 »
Yeah, the poor things are paper thin. ;)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2013, 22:10:09 »
Well, I guess the first 'life' is in the fish room.. but it's not what you think.

About three weeks ago, I collected some sand, water, and a bit of algae from a tank at a friend's store, just to mess around with the microscope.

Here are some of the things I found..

amphipods

Baby collonista snails

various nematodes

Even some copepods

And a few dinoflagellates

All in all, a typical slice of life in a pinch of algae or a sample of sand.

I felt kind of bad about leaving it without any circulation or heat, so..

I picked up a 2.5g tank and some sand from a friend's store this past weekend, and trolled through my spare parts bins to come up with this..

It's still cycling, but once it finishes, I'll dump the 100ml 'tank' in there, and add a scoop of sand from an LFS tank.

I pointed my little celestron microscope cameras at the tank, you can watch it come to life over the next couple of weeks.

http://rowelab.com/fish/camera/fugecam.php

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:48 »
That is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:03 »
Wow that is so cool

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2013, 12:06:40 »
Wow! Ashlar you have taken this build to the extreme! Love it.
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2013, 12:33:17 »
Thanks. By taking it slow, we've had the chance to play a lot more than we would have typically done.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2013, 21:34:38 »
I'm really excited to see it all come together I can't wait to see it
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2013, 00:37:24 »
Man that is some crazy pics and video. Micro photography is really cool.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2013, 23:50:18 »
In my best mad scientist voice..

IT'S... IT'S.. IT'S ALIVE!

First life spotted on the fuge cams- tiny little nematodes that look like ferrets on crack crawling on boulders.

A couple of days ago, I dumped the 100ml container, algae and all, into the 2.5g tank, to seed the tank with some microscopic life.

It's working!

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2013, 00:12:46 »
I love all of the pitchers with the microscope that you are taking. I love the science in a tank

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2013, 07:15:31 »
Those are nice specs, lol. Are those visible to the naked eye?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2013, 09:38:07 »
Not really, no.. you can *almost* see that *something* is moving with the naked eye.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2013, 17:31:49 »
Any updates?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2013, 17:38:40 »
Not tank related per se, no..

The wife and I have been hitting a lot of estate sales lately, and I've been keeping my eye open for reef / marine related art.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2013, 17:52:23 »
Nice. I like the wall art.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2013, 17:58:50 »
As far as the little tank, I have spotted a lot more life..

Munid isopod

Harpactid copepod

Photosynthetic flatwoms

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2013, 22:38:31 »
Sweet, thanks for the pics. I love your camera set up. Takes amazing microscopic shots.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2013, 23:56:57 »
Feel free to check in on it at any time..

http://rowelab.com/fish/camera/fugecam.php

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2013, 00:10:09 »
Wow that's sweet what kind of camera do u use?
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2013, 09:46:47 »
It's a little celestron hobby USB microscope-

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2013, 13:14:58 »
That's cool

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2013, 00:41:15 »
What magnification is the camera at just wondering saw some guys that looked really big compared to little red guys that were very tiny. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2013, 10:44:07 »
It's about at 150x, the max. Last night I captured 30 seconds of video. How many critters can you see?

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2013, 23:19:45 »
Dang 150x!!  So when you plan on starting the tank and all? Very excited to see you do this. I know it will be amazing. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2013, 23:51:53 »
Got some more bills to pay down, but it shouldn't be too long.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2013, 05:24:23 »
Got some more bills to pay down, but it shouldn't be too long.

Any updates on this awesome build?
Chromiumlux

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:00 »
Nothing spectacular, just clean-up for now. I replaced the pieces of drywall that I cut out in the adjoining room to run plumbing to the sink.

Work's been a bear and finances are tight, unfortunately.

As to the little tank, I've been observing a lot more life..

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2013, 00:15:22 »
Dang no tank yet.  All this time in was hoping to see something amazing since ive been gone for so long.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2013, 22:11:01 »
Had a few more unexpected bills pop up.

S'all good, it'll get filled eventually, hehe.

• Adult
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2013, 10:35:23 »
I think your secretly building your tank and filling it with some amazing rock aquascape and going to blow us away!!!! come-on show us pics of the real system!!!  :) or make your wife get a part time job at night working to pay for all the items needed for your new system to finish it out, I am looking forward to it!!!! :-[

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2013, 16:21:34 »
 :laugh:
Brent McCloskey

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2013, 17:07:40 »
Hehe, nah. We have been doing some other projects though..

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2013, 20:31:23 »
Your very creative. Everything looks really nice and well put together. Nice job

Offline Tony

• Juvenile
« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2013, 10:49:40 »
Wow, so I just read through the 12 pages of this post for the first time.  This is amazing.  I am jealous beyond belief, lo.  This is the sort of project that any professional tank builder would sit down and get all kid-like again over.  The detail throughout the entire process is amazing.  You are probably spending just as much time sharing all of this with us as you are working on the tank, haha.  It's definitely appreciated though.  This is an amazing project, and you blew away my expectations from that first sketch to seeing it fall into place.  Fantastic job man!  I'm sitting here in awe right now
No escape from the underwater world.  It always pulls me back in.

150 reef project
SSI Master Diver

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2013, 16:26:27 »
Any updates

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2013, 18:41:12 »
Nothing on the fish room no.. been playing with the lathe recently..

:)

• Adult
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2015, 17:58:11 »
You ever build that tank for that great room???