2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Perfect Storm Tank Build  (Read 14249 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Perfect Storm Tank Build
« on: October 22, 2014, 21:26:26 »
Well, I have had my old tank down for about 5 weeks now and I think the title speaks for its self. All the craziness that I was experiencing with my old tank and the tear down has rolled over into the new system. While moving my frag tank I cracked it so I have to get a new frag tank. Ballast burnt out of T5 unit I am using and then while I was hooking up my LED hanging kit, one of the holders stripped out. Glad it was a test run and didn't fall in the tank. Last but not least and I could use some help here, I turned the lights on last night (tank is empty), when I noticed I could see light between the tank and the stand. It is not a lot of space, but the only place I could not see light is on each end. The sides are fine and I am going to check across the back tonight. The tank was set up on this stand before and the guy never had any issues, just wondering if over time it could be a problem. I don't know exactly how much space it is, I tried to use a wood shim just to check and in most places it will barely go in, just the extreme tip. Still got me kinda freakin out. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
Re: Perfect Storm Tank Build
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 22:20:06 »
I'd use a 4' level, or any other known straight edge, and lay it on the stand. That way you can see if the stand has sagged a little in the middle. If it has, I'd try shimming at floor level.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 22:34:55 »
Can't shim at floor level, the stand has no cross beam in the front

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 19:41:13 »
Can you take a Picture of the stand showing the support.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 20:37:49 »
Can you take a Picture of the stand showing the support.

Will try and do that tonight.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 13:50:52 »
Here are a few pics. To the best of my knowledge the widest space is between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch. The ends all seem to be pretty flush and again this tank was up on this stand for well over a year. I was just concerned about long term integrity of the seals in the tank.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 18:06:37 »
A 180 withou a center brace is risky in my opinion.   But without adding a bottom frame to the stand, there is not much you can do.   What are you going to put the sump on?   Why not add a bottom frame and put the sump on that, and then add a brace to the main tank stand.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 19:05:07 »
I have thought about adding a center brace but I don't really have any tools or place to work on it. I am going to sit the sump on the floor, probably put some rubber or thick plastic under it to keep salt creep off the carpet. Also not sure if I add a center brace if I will be able to get the sump in and out if I need to.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 19:06:48 »
I have a removable center brace, if I need to remove the sump

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 19:12:43 »
Not sure how to do that, but I can learn as well as the next guy.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 20:11:33 »
Steve, in your build, use a Kreg jig and pocket screws.  Bulletproof construction and you can add a removable center brace.  Not meaning any offense, but that stand is a little scary.  I'm thinking about racking of the stand under weight because there is only bracing of the ends at the rear of the tank.

Regarding the sag in the center span, set the tank on 1/2" EPP insulation batts.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 18:17:56 »
Not meaning any offense, but that stand is a little scary.  I'm thinking about racking of the stand under weight because there is only bracing of the ends at the rear of the tank.

Regarding the sag in the center span, set the tank on 1/2" EPP insulation batts.

No offense taken. Upon further review this stand has a lot of flaws. I guess when I bought it I saw the tank on it and it seemed sturdy. Honestly more interested in the tank and corals that I got, should have been more careful. I have a friend who does some wood working and such. He is gonna look at it and see if he thinks it is fixable, if not looking at buying or making a new one. Any stand carpenters out there?

Not sure about the foam under the tank, not really convinced that is a good thing.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 19:01:04 »
Me, but unfortunately out of the picture after this week until February.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:45:44 »
Decided to build a new stand. Thanks to my buddy Tim for his handy work. Here are a few pics.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 02:49:01 »
Now lets get this thing plumbed and get some fish and corals goin!

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:23 »
Looking good Steve, can't wait to see the fish and corals.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:29 »
That looks nice and sturdy. Looking forward to seeing the rest come together

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 17:24:44 »
That looks nice and sturdy. Looking forward to seeing the rest come together

We will find out just how sturdy tonight. I tested all my fittings last night and there were no leaks, so tonight we will add sand and begin making 200 gallons of Ro/Di water. Also finished making hangers for the LED's this week so I have got a lot done. Hope to have some pics soon and even more so ready to get my fish and corals back in a tank where I can see them.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 15:15:16 »
Looking good Steve

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 22:16:17 »
Tornado proof stand lol
Looking good, Steve
Brent McCloskey

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 20:54:50 »
This day was a long time coming.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 20:58:52 »
Having trouble downloading pics. Lets try again.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 21:43:29 »
Congrats! Looks nice

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 03:04:13 »
I have all the rock, corals and fish transferred but don't have the rock work scaped yet, just kinda in there. Will be working on that this week. A lot of work and quite a learning experience. 

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 16:39:20 »
Starting to come around.