2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: cutting acrylic...  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
cutting acrylic...
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:48:15 »
anybody have any experience with cutting acrylic?

I am going to stop on my way home and get some scrap pieces of acrylic that I intend to cut into a 8"x12" pisce, and then cut a 1-3/4" hole in the middle of it for a 1" bulkhead.

I have done a little reading and many people say to use a stanley knife for the cuts and a standard hole saw for the hole.

the acrylic is dirt cheap so I won't be out much, but any advice or experience would be great.

thanks,
Shep

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: cutting acrylic...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 13:20:40 »
Yep, you just use the utility knife with a good point, and score where you want to make the cut...Run the blade up and down the line several times till your about half way through the thickness of the acrylic. Then wedge the sheet between two pieces of wood/etc at the line with a clamp(make sure the boards are on the end you want to keep; prevents it from shattering or cracking on that end) and then just bend/strike off the piece you don't want. It will snap on the line you scored and you just buff smooth with fine sandpaper(under a running faucet, for best results) and your good to go... You can also use a propane blow torch and run it smoothly but somewhat quickly up and down the edge to give it a nice smooth sheen where you cut it(if that matters to you)...

the hole saw is pretty straight forward(again I would water the bit as you drill,but it is not needed, just cuts back on dust and gives a smoother finish)

Just make sure you take your time and make sure your scores are of sufficient depth, otherwise you will either get shatters or the piece will not break off in a smooth line and you will be left with lots of sanding...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 13:50:51 »
i would recommend using some water when cutting the holes because acrylic can heat up fast and then just melts, sticks to your bit and doesnt cut nicely. Also instead of a utility knife, i use this:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=30176&catid=560&clickid=searchresults

unlike with a utility knife, this actually scrapes the plastic off where you want it to break. Causes you to have perfect breaks and less strokes to cut down deep enough. At least to me, i enjoy this tool better. I think Lowes might sell them.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 13:53:36 »
excellent, thanx fellas...  :-ThumbUpsm