2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: how to clean sand  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
how to clean sand
« on: May 12, 2006, 20:38:13 »
when i tore my blown up tank down, i saved all the sand in a bucket. checked it a while back and it all went anerobic(black)  i would like to work with the sand i have(setting up a 20g fuge on my 29g) because i am uber-short on cash. i suppose i could bleach it overnight and then airstone it... would this be completely safe to use in a day or two

Offline verper

Re: how to clean sand
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 20:42:55 »
I haven't read about anything that is worth the money or effort to clean sand.  Most all of them say to just start with new. 

If you do clean it, I'd like to know how it goes.  What would you use, a sifter screen or something to run water over it?  Or just pour bleach into the bucket?  Won't there be a lot of detrus to clean out of it before putting it back in?

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 21:18:55 »
i think ill try bleaching it. i will put it in a large tub and spread it out thin, put a little water and a little bleach, let it soak for a little then airstone it overnight. wash it a few times and see if it smells. i think it should work.

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 21:23:55 »
with that ratio of water to sand you will end up with a nice forth of sand effervescing and dissolving.  IMO

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 21:32:39 »
If you do use bleach.  I think Randy Holmes-Farley on Rc once told me to use a combination of vinegar and water to make sure there is no bleach left.  I don't remember the ratio now but it might be worth a post to him. 

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 21:38:14 »
scott- ive got 40 lbs... only need 20 or so... lol

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 22:25:37 »
If you let it sit in the sun for a couple days after bleaching it that will take care of the bleach. Bleach is very volatile and will evaporate (lack of a better word) pretty easily.

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:27:32 »
and the sun will also bleach the sand.  Even been to a beach and found brown sand inder the white sand on the surface.