2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Harlequin Shrimp  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ucbearcats

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Harlequin Shrimp
« on: January 08, 2012, 16:13:54 »
I was looking to get a Harlequin Shrimp for my 10 gallon tank.  The thing I am concerned about is how to people keep a supply of starfish for them to eat?  Is a 10 gallon tank ok to keep it in with a cleaner shrimp pistol shrimp goby and emerald crab? 

Thanks
Ryan

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: Harlequin Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 16:25:57 »
you would most likely have to feed it in a tank that size.  Most people give it a leg off a chocolate chip every few days.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 22:37:05 »
A few people keep the chocolate chip stars in their sumps. If you have maybe 5-6 you can rotate by cutting off the arms and let some of them heal and that way you don't place too much stress on one individual starfish. An ok solution to not setting up another tank.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 22:39:36 »
A few people keep the chocolate chip stars in their sumps. If you have maybe 5-6 you can rotate by cutting off the arms and let some of them heal and that way you don't place too much stress on one individual starfish. An ok solution to not setting up another tank.
That is exactly what I did with mine and it worked well.
Thanks and God Bless,
John