2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hanna Checkers Pro's & Con's  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Hanna Checkers Pro's & Con's
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:32:33 »

I would like to hear some feedback from those in the club that use Hanna Checkers to test or check their water chemistry. I currently use all Salifert test kits but have been playing with the idea of switching over to a Hanna checker or two to test my chemistry. Who has some good or bad experiences with these types of devices?

looking forward to feedback,  Thanks

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
Re: Hanna Checkers Pro's & Con's
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:45:49 »
Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 14:05:58 »
  I would like to hear some feedback from those in the club that use Hanna Checkers to test or check their water chemistry. I currently use all Salifert test kits but have been playing with the idea of switching over to a Hanna checker or two to test my chemistry. Who has some good or bad experiences with these types of devices?

looking forward to feedback,  Thanks
Personally, I love them. At present I only have the alk and phos Hanna's. The calc Hanna seems to be as much work as my Red Sea calc kit so I didn't bother. They are quick and seem accurate enough. The only thing I can complain about is that each reagent refill I get seems to be calibrated about .1 to .5 different than the last bottle for the alk tester. These are just my opinions and experience.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 16:23:50 »
I love my Alk ppm checker.  I also like the ppm phosphate checker too but I wish I would have bought the ppb instead because I've ran lower nutrients in the past.

I find consistency is key with the checkers or any testing for that matter.  I face the vial with the ml mark the same direction every time and rely on a stopwatch instead of counting during any tests. 

Cons-
Reagent inconsistency as stated in the post above.  I put a note in my log with new reagents

They need a beeper at the end of a 3 minute timer. I've tossed many tests because I've been distracted and came back and the checker was off

Offline 4N3M0N3

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 17:33:28 »
I'm glad this topic came up. I've been using Red Sea Reef Foundations alkalinity test kit, and I dislike the color change (mine goes from blue to a light tan to orange, rather than the blue to red/orange shown on the instructions) because I can't easily determine the end point of the reaction. My reagent is not expired. The other tests within the Red Sea kit have a nice distinct color change.
So, you all say to go with the Hanna PPM kit? Any of you use the dKH Hanna kit?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 22:20:04 »

They need a beeper at the end of a 3 minute timer. I've tossed many tests because I've been distracted and came back and the checker was off

I agree with you about the timer. It should have a beeper. I've gotten sidetracked and missed it too. Are you aware that you don't have to set the timer? If you just push the button quickly, it will start reading and give you a measurement without waiting the three minutes.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 23:17:23 »
I agree with you about the timer. It should have a beeper. I've gotten sidetracked and missed it too. Are you aware that you don't have to set the timer? If you just push the button quickly, it will start reading and give you a measurement without waiting the three minutes.

Ehh 3minutes is worth the wait for me if it's what the manufacturer instructs.

On a side note I tried Red Sea for my last magnesium kit and don't trust it.  I've had the same end numbers in two solutions I know have different levels.  I prefer seachem for mag.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 23:24:31 »
Anyone have a potassium kit that they can get a solid number from?  Last one I did had such a poor color change I was a bit shocked.  Wish there was a $50 checker for that

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 09:16:32 »
If you guys are interested, there are a handful of apps for Android that have timers and store test results (as well as livestock, etc). I find them extremely helpful during tests

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Cbergman

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 14:23:05 »
I am using the Phos and Alk Hanna checkers and love them. They are quick and accurate I wish I could say the same for Hannas Calcium checker it is more trouble then what it is worth in my opinion and I can not seem to get very accurate readings from it.

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:09:05 »
I am using the Phos and Alk Hanna checkers and love them. They are quick and accurate I wish I could say the same for Hannas Calcium checker it is more trouble then what it is worth in my opinion and I can not seem to get very accurate readings from it.
It is hard to get that very small sample accurate in the provided syringe, I've been meaning to research a better way to more easily measure that small amount.  I was able to get the readings consistent and within the margin of error in my Salifert kits, but with my old eyes I admit I had to use a magnifying glass to get the sample right!