2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ohioreef 96g Corner Tank  (Read 8122 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Ohioreef 96g Corner Tank
« on: November 11, 2020, 21:19:57 »
I'm back!!! Kinda....more like in the process of being back. LOL

After ohioreefjr got his tank I started feeling that itch again. Over the last few years I'd dabbled in smaller tanks, usually a Bio-Cube, but just did not like them. Not the same as the bigger tanks, plus things go wrong very fast in a smaller tank!

I have a spot where a corner tank would be perfect, but didn't want a smaller one, I wanted one of the 90-100g ones. After checking around I learned they don't make them anymore. I was devastated so I started considering a 110 or 120 and place it where my old tank was, but wasn't really sold on that.

When I first started looking, I had posted a WTB ad on craigslist and then totally forgot about it. I was in talks with a gentleman for a 120g and when I tried to set up a time to pick it up, he ghosted me. I was mad!! A couple days after that I get an email from a gentleman down in California, KY saying he has a 96g corner tank with all the "fixins" for sale!! Yeah!! Exactly what I was looking for. We set up a time to go pick it up and a few days before picking it up, he texts me and says he just tested positive for Covid, but that I could still have it if I didn't mind waiting. Seeing as how it was the exact tank I wanted, a few more days wasn't going to hurt.

Fast forward to today, my son-in-law and I drove down and I brought my "new" tank home! Not much to look at right now, but at least it's in the house.

Plans at this point are to scrape the old paint off and repaint it with Krylon blue paint. Then I need to design and have a sump built. It came with a wet/dry, but I think I'm going to change as I want a refuge.

I've attached a photo of it as it sits right now. I'll keep everyone posted as I put it all together. I have some LR in ohioreefjr's sump so hopefully I'll have an abbreviated cycle.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Ohioreef 96g Corner Tank
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 21:29:16 »
Looking forward to seeing this come along. When your ready for corals let me know I am happy to donate some to get your started

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 21:35:24 »
Looking forward to seeing this come along. When your ready for corals let me know I am happy to donate some to get your started

I'll hold you to that...LOL

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 16:59:53 »
Finally got around to doing some work on the tank today.

Moved it into a back bedroom so I could strip the blue paint off and repaint the side glass black. The old paint peeled right off and I started painting the black on. Went a little heavy on first coat and got some running, but I think I can make it work.

Next I traced the edge of the stand, pulled it out of the corner and cut the carpet out. We're planning on eventually pulling the carpet up and laying wood laminate and figured it'd be easier to pull the carpet now and then just trim around the stand when I pout the laminate down.

While I had the stand out, I noticed some issues. The bottom had some rotten spots and a piece of the trim around the front has come loose. I'm pretty sure it's just cosmetic, but I pulled the bottom off and I'm going to put a new bottom on. I think the trim piece will fall back in place when I put the new bottom on. Considering putting some extra vertical bracing in just to feel better.

Hopefully I can have things back together and ready for water in a week or so.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 20:45:26 »
Got a new bottom and some extra support put on this evening.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 21:16:04 »
Looks like your making some good progress.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 21:43:45 »
Looks like your making some good progress.
It’s slow going...I’m ready to throw some rock and water in...LOL...but not quite there yet. Easier to reinforce now than later with 1000lbs of water sitting on the stand.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 19:44:21 »
Swept the remaining sand out of the bottom and cleaned the glass. She's ready to be moved back onto the stand, after I decide what sump I'm going with.

The sump I'm thinking of going with, a Trigger 18C cube sump, won't fit through the doors and will have to be placed before putting the tank back onto the stand. The other one I'm considering is a Trigger Sapphire/Emerald 26. Any thoughts on those two?

I'm hoping to find one of them on sale on Cyber Monday.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 17:53:13 »
Have a sump coming. Emailed Trigger Systems inquiring whether they had any blemished 26" sumps. Lucky for me they have a Sapphire 26 for over $100 off retail so I ordered it.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 13:08:58 »
Good choice. Took me over 3 months to figure out where the blemish was and found it by feel moving equipment around haha! Won’t regret it.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 14:32:20 »
Everything I’ve read about their sumps has been positive.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 21:20:50 »
My Trigger Systems sump came today. It’s a blemished unit, but I have yet to find anything wrong with it.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 21:30:02 »

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 21:30:48 »
Next step is to start filling with water and get the plumbing hooked up.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 15:00:22 »
Getting wet today.....

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 00:35:53 »
what lighting do you plan on going with? I ran a painted 2x4 across the corner of my 54g Corner and hung my led off of it, it looks pretty cool

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Ohioreef 96g Corner Tank
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 05:36:36 »
I haven’t totally figured that out yet. Ohioreefjr gave me a couple Ocean Revives he had to play with. Figured once I got the rock and everything going I’d play around with lighting while it cycles. I have a canopy for it, but I’m not sure it’s going to work without some modification.

Do you happen to have a photo of your set-up? I’m always open to ideas.

Offline discus513

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 06:30:38 »
It's a mess right now but you can see how i did my light

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Ohioreef 96g Corner Tank
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 06:38:26 »
That looks nice!

I have young grandkids so an open top concerns me. Never know what might end up in the tank. LOL

What are using for filtration?

Offline discus513

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 07:16:17 »
I built a sump out of a 15 high tank, it's not the prettiest but it's worked pretty good for the 7 or so years ive had this tank running

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 09:05:05 »
Nice. I have a Trigger Systems Sapphire26 that I was able to get as “blemish”. Still looking for the blemish, but I’m not complaining. Going to work on getting it plumbed and going tonight so I can get some of the nasty cloudiness out from the substrate. Then put in some live rock and get the cycle going!

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 20:30:13 »
I have water flowing!! I have a slow drip where the drain hose meets the barb fitting at the sump end. It’s dripping into the sump so not a big deal, but I will need to address it. Does anyone know where I can get an 18” drain hose? I had to cut mine down and that’s why I have the drip. I had to cut off the slip fitting. If you look at the tank end you can see what should be there.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:09 »
you might try getting the braided vinyl pvc tubing from lowes

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 22:39:09 »
Ready for rock.....always hate trying to figure out the aquascaping!!

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 16:12:28 »
Got some rock, courtesy of ohioreefjr....
set up an outline of my tank on a piece of cardboard, now time to figure out some rockwork!!