2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wave Maker  (Read 1570 times)

Offline SaltLife

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Wave Maker
« on: October 28, 2021, 11:10:17 »
Does anyone have a preference on equipment/brand to create a wave motion in their tank? I have been looking at wave makers and they vary drastically in price. I realize that sometimes you get what you pay for. I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have to, but I do want a nice even-flow thru the tank. I have been using Hydor pumps on an alternating power outlet, but tend to be very directional and sometimes a lot of movement. Any one have any preferences? If I have to spend the money I will, but was wondering what experiences you had using what equipment for a successful current.
Thanks
...where the salt meets your life

Offline Gary

• Adult
Re: Wave Maker
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 09:45:37 »
The gyres (Maxspect/Jabeo) and MP40s are my best current generators.  They are relatively reliable, easy to maintain if done periodically, and capable of different modes (pulse, wave, controllers can link to other units, etc). The gyres can move a lot of water the length of the tank (6 foot) easily. I like the newer MP wet side design better. Follow the directions for cleaning will help with longevity and efficiency.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
Re: Wave Maker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:50:37 »
I have used gyres and they are very good at creating the wave motion. I feel like they are a bit difficult to clean and reassemble. I am currently using the the octo pulse. The flow is more like the ones you are currently using. They have wave modes to create flow and have been reliable. They are very easy to clean. The MP40 is a great choice if you want to have a clean look with wires in the tank.