2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fluval EVO 13.5  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Rob

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Fluval EVO 13.5
« on: October 30, 2021, 10:58:54 »
After several years out of the hobby, I jumped back in about 5 weeks ago.   I picked up a Fluval EVO 13.5 gallon AIO system at Petco.  My intention was to leave it as is, in a stock configuration, and see where it takes me.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fluval-evo-xii-marine-aquarium-kit

The tank itself is a pretty cool design, it is a peninsula, with a filtration compartment in the back, small return pump, and a nice looking hood with a LED light built in there too.  the lighting is good enough for softies and some LPS.  Perfect, right?  That is all I was really hoping for.  A very light bioload, a couple of Ocellaris clowns, some shrimp, some zoas, maybe some mushrooms/ricorida?

The first thing I added was an InTank Media Basket, this allows you to easily organize and separate filter media.
https://intankaquatics.com/intank-chamber-one-media-basket-for-fluval-evo-13-5-fluval-evo-52l/

I also picked up Fluval protein skimmer for this tank.  I am not impressed and will likely return it.  It is very termpermental and hard to adjust, then the water level changes (daily) and you have to readjust.  It is not for me.

Flash forward to yesterday.  I have yet to put anything live in the system, I am completely cycled now, and am growing hair algae like it's my job.  I can only assume this is related to phosphates in my water.  I ordered some good stuff yesterday:
I figured if you put garbage in the tank, you can only expect so much, so I ordered an RO/DI syste.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-stage-premium-plus-75-gpd-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply-bundle.html

I also ordered a new light.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prime-16-hd-led-reef-light-black-body-aqua-illumination.html

Does anyone have an experience with AI lighting?

I will take some pictures and share them here soon.
Rob

Offline dbowman

• Adult
Re: Fluval EVO 13.5
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 12:08:52 »
Good morning and happy Halloween.
i followed your link to petco and there is a pic of the AI style light. I have 3 on my 48" x 18" 75 gal and they are very nice, producing plenty of light for illumination and soft coral. i have also used Current USA LED's for softies but they were insufficient for zoas and lps. I don't have AIO experience except for the friend who tore his down because of the constant algae overgrowth was not kept in check and family time overtook the effort, his corals and clown are still doing well in my tank.
I have the same RODI system and it has been great for me.
 The tank level issue is one for auto top off. you can keep the level within 1/2" in the back with a simple system.
i have a couple of types of skimmers and they are both subject to what you describe. the start up of a skimmer has a break in cycle when you start it. in my case that is when it is new and when it has been off for awhile. the initial period may be due to manufacturing. if there is residue on the internal surfaces that need to wear off or there is nothing on the surface and it needs to have a film to work right i do not know. the fact is that each body of water has some level of accumulated protein. the skimmer at what ever setting starts dealing with this protein and produces an amount of skimmate. this reduces the concentration in the tank and the skimmer then produces less skimmate per hour. until an equilibrium is reached between protein produced and protein removed the skimmer seems to be 'tempermental'. One thing i did was to put an oversized simmer on a very low load tank. this was unnecessary because there was actually not enough protein to develop a dark skimmate so i was just removing water because i adjusted it so bubbles would come out of the top, 
I have what would be termed nuisance algae. i don't sweat it too much, probably because i am in the learning stage and I figure that it is biodiversity.
thanks for your post, and enjoy. definitely post pictures :)

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 10:03:22 »
How about a picture?  Build threads are much better with pics!

Rob

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 11:08:13 »
Rob..nice to see you back. I am also recently back in the game. I have a new tank coming in tomorrow.  I went with a watebox 20g cube this time around. We need more pics of progress.
John

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 14:02:45 »
Hey Jon, long time, no chat. I hope you are great these days!  Yes, I will post some more pics of this this, it has been up for just over a year, and doing quite well.

This tank is coming to an end though, I just picked up a used Innovative Marine Fusion Nuvo 20 gallon.  The EVO is a peninsula shaped tank, which I am finding really limits the amount of space and how you can arrange your rock compared to a traditional style tank.  I just gave it a bleach bath, soaked all the pumps and spinning returns in vinegar, so maybe this weekend I will move everything over.

Rob

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 14:22:02 »
I am also recently back in the game. I have a new tank coming in tomorrow.

My man John!

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 14:34:05 »
Looks nice bro. Healthy looking zoas.
John

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 08:33:36 »
Well, i think I had that little EVO for 13 months, I very much liked it....but, I moved everything from it over to an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 (long name for an AIO 20 gallon!).  For me, the main detractor of the EVO was it is a peninsula-style tank, as in three-sided viewing.  I wanted something a little more traditional.  I will start a new thread for it, I picked up some cool rock for it you might be interested in seeing.
Rob