2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Can anyone give me a little direction?  (Read 990 times)

Offline Gards Reef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Can anyone give me a little direction?
« on: November 17, 2022, 00:41:22 »
I have been battling with what I believe is DinoFlags for quite a while now. I know these things like no nutrient level tanks; but I've had this tank for 2 years now and have a proper nitrate and phosphate levels to not be a Zero'd out tank. I have a BRS rodi system and am producing water with zero TDS. I've checked everything over and over again. Can't seem to defeat it. Someone know what I can do to start eliminating it. I've done water changes; I've even used medications like Vibrant (which I didn't want to do) but nothing seems to destroy it. And what is weird about it. is there is no presence of it in my sump, only my display. I've reached out on R2R and done a lot of research and just haven't got any answers. R2R only responds to your post like once or twice with not much useful information.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
Re: Can anyone give me a little direction?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 07:25:20 »
I don?t have any advice since I am new to reefing. But I?d recommend posting some photos. And some information on your water parameters. Are you on Facebook? Couple of helpful local people on there that may offer some guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 16:49:19 »
Redid my frag tank a while back and after I put the new racks in I had a dino explosion. Some started in the DT but not as bad. I kept blowing it off and worked on my water quality, eventually went away. Probably not a lot of help, but that's my experience. Don't they sometimes feed off of silicates in the water as well? Hope you find some answers.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 11:36:33 »
If you want to take the hammer approach... A UV sterilizer should knock them out, or I have read that Ozone will do it also. I currently have a dino problem and just got an ozone reactor, so we shall see how it goes... but I also have a hair algae problem too, so I'm doing a completele blackout for several days in an attempt to kill off the hair algae (which is messing with my pH... which is causing my ORP to go way up... which is preventing me from running ozone).

Also, if you haven't already, I'd make sure you look at them under a microscope to make sure they are actually dinos.