2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 1 legged serpent star WTHECK  (Read 2897 times)

apelaston

1 legged serpent star WTHECK
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:37:56 »
So I never see my star fish come out across the sand he is always buried up in a pile of rocks, well yesterday I saw him. I thought...i could tell something was wrong with his leg so I went rock diving....well all I found was 3 legs. Then last night half of one, and today he is on the sand with one full leg and the others are gone all the way up to his body... :'(

this is a pretty drastic and quick decline, but i have never seen him eat anything, but do you guys think that my new six line wrasse could be picking on him? He seems to pick on the coral banded shrimp quite a bit sending him soaring across the tank, but leaves my cleaner shrimp alone...he is a crab picker too....no hard feelings with him on that one since i had 6 blue legged hermits and now only have 2 snails left and they are all wearing turbo shells....ARG.

IDEAS HELP SUGGESTIONS>

I did my norm water change yesterday SG at 1.22 ammo 0 nitrate nitrite pH still need to test, but will later today if you think those are the problem?

But they have been running fine for weeks now..well 3 weeks to be exact. I tested 3 days ago...

:o

MechanicalEngineer

Re: 1 legged serpent star WTHECK
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:02:18 »
Depending on what you're keeping...you may want to keep your SG a little higher.  Some problems have been known to happen at 1.022 (I assume you didn't mean 1.22...that would be quite high!!)  I keep mine at 1.026, but I also keep a lot of SPS corals.

As far as your serpent star, I have no idea.  I've never kept one before.  Sorry.

apelaston

Re: 1 legged serpent star WTHECK
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 14:34:14 »
yea i am going to try to raise the sg up to1.025[/size] over the next few water changes. I have been doing them once a week considering the low bioload that I have right now. I donno....that star fish is well...not real bright lol....lets just say i had to dig him out of the intake of my HOB several times when i first got him ..i think he was trying to catch the food as it flew by him....but nothing ever happened to his legs until now..hopefully my one legged creature of my sea will heal itself...