2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ocean Nutrition  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Joel

• Adult
Ocean Nutrition
« on: May 07, 2006, 21:57:00 »
I've been using (feeding) Formula One & Two from Ocean Nutrition for well over 10 years. I know they (Ocean Nutrition) were bought out a year or so ago and are now producing most if not all thier products in house . (thier products used to be made by other companies with thier lable put on the product). I have seen some changes in thier foods recently, espcially the cubes. Not good changes, things like the food is real tough and rubbery and here real recently I'm finding what looks like crushed gravel or shells in thier foods. I have contacted them to ask what's up but have not got a reply from them yet. Anyone elce using thier products and finding any issues with it?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Ocean Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 22:00:04 »
I don't think I have ever used their frozen food. I use the dry and it seems to be ok.

Offline verper

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 22:27:07 »
I use their food on occasion but haven't bought any in 8 months or so.  That is not good news.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 22:41:49 »
I don't want to bash them, I have been a big fan of thier producs for a long time and have highly suggested thier products to my customers.

I am curious about what has changed or perhaps I got a bad batch or something. If they had a bad batch, it must have been a huge one, I have been having these issues with thier products for 6 months or so.

I'll try again monday to talk to someone there and find out the 411.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 10:43:59 »
I mostly use the pellet form of theur food but do on occassion feed the frozen Formula 2. Mine has always been "rubbery", but I just thought that was the way it was supposed to be. I hate the gelatin coating as it makes it a pain to break it up!!

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 22:33:41 »
I just use the form. 1 flakes, and never have a problem with it.  ^-^
Erin

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 07:11:10 »
THe flakes seem to be fine but they are differant from how they used to be. They are not being made by Omega Sea any more.

I spoke with the head nutritionist at ocean nutrition on Tuesday, he said that he has had no reports of any problems with the food. I have two open pack of cube formula one, one is very hard and rubbery, the other is like mush when it thaws out. I am sending him batch #'s and most likley packs of food I'm having problems with. As many as I've had in such a short amount of time, I'm suprised that I'm the only one with a complaint. Many of my regular customers have noticed the change.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 12:07:22 »
I have been using Formula One for about a year now and I just started adding Formula Two to the mix a few months ago. Formula One does appear to be somewhat rubber like, until you mix it up. I haven't noticed any shells or crushed coral added. If it is not listed as a ingredient on the label, I doubt they would be adding fillers since  federal laws are getting tougher across the board, especially with human consumption foods/products and labels.