2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Looking for T-5 bulb recommendations  (Read 575 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Looking for T-5 bulb recommendations
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:41:38 »
It's time for me to begin cycling through bulb replacement over my display tank.  Arguably, it's overdue, but life happens, so I'm working with what I have.  I have 4 36in (39Watts) T-5HO bulbs over my tank.  Currently, 2 bulbs are 10,000K Coralife bulbs, 1 is a UVL 420nm actinic, and 1 is a Hagen Marine-Glo (looks to be 460nm).  The UVL bulb is by far the oldest, and will need to be replaced first, in my opinion.

In all honesty, I would like to get closer to a 14K-15K look.  The 10,000k bulbs are a little yellower than I like.  I am looking for brand names as well as specific bulb types.  I will find it more helpful if you can give as in-depth an explanation as possible as to why you recommend a given bulb or brand.

Thanks!

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
Re: Looking for T-5 bulb recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 14:48:08 »
I would put 2 ATI blue plus, 1 Fiji purple or uvl  actinic white and one aqua blue. This will have the most par and the color I think you are looking for.

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 15:12:00 »
I would put 2 ATI blue plus, 1 Fiji purple or uvl  actinic white and one aqua blue. This will have the most par and the color I think you are looking for.

Okay, so, in terms of manufacturers, you recommend ATI, Fiji, and UVL...  Is that correct?  So I'm looking at ATI Blue Plus, Fiji Purple, UVL Actinic, and UVL Aqua Blue?

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 15:50:11 »
The Fiji purple bulbs are $10 more but are a little more in the purple spectrum and will give you a slightly more blue look.  The uvl is a more pink hue and cheaper.  They are both about the same par and the over all look won't be much different.