2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Drifting Topics (off topic posts)  (Read 3518 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Drifting Topics (off topic posts)
« on: January 05, 2012, 19:45:51 »
Got a question regarding topic drift. Most of us, myself included have a tendency to drift off topic. It seems some like to see how a thread can change and morph and change again. I am guessing however for some people it can be quite frustrating especailly when trying to sell something, getting help from members on a subject etc..... A lot of forums have strict policy about it. How do you feel about it? Do you want moderators to keep threads on topic and split off ones that go astray? Would you prefer to just let it role and not worry about it. Just wanted to know what the majority thinks, moderators included.

This has nothing to do with the chum bucket or off topic threads

All off topic posts will be deleted   :P

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Drifting Topics (off topic posts)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 19:54:39 »
Being the moderator that I am and never getting off topic...  Oh wait, I'm prolly more guilty than most!  UGH! 

On a seriious note, Brian I've often wondered about this as well.  I would like to hear what others think. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 20:19:59 »
its ok brian i think you ask stupid questions >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 20:38:13 »
I think as long as it doesn't wander too far off from what the op orginally wanted its ok.   Sometimes the off topic discussions leads to other solutions which the OP may have never considerd before.

As far as off topic in the for sale section, no shouldn't happen.  If someone wants to sell something its their right to set the price, if you don't like the price don't buy it.  If you have a legitment question ask but nothing more, I feel it hurts the sale.

If the off topic post turns into long drawn out argument then yes by all means delete  those posts that aren't productive.   I don't think moderators should just go around deleting posts because they don't agree with what was said though, there  needs to be moderation in the moderation :D

And there is no such thing as a stupid question

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 20:43:40 »
Though I don't specifically have a favored outlook either way on off topic posts... I will admit I am guilty of it... But I will also say the way the site is now is a major reason why I frequent this forum soo much, and more so than other forums.... I feel most forums that target the issue of being off topic are too unbecoming... some try way too hard, most drive away people, and it's really all for not...

I understand the clutter can be bothersome... but is it really that unbearable?, most all off topic convos are funny, or still have some relevance to the original post, and it isn't really that hard to weed out the good from the rift raft off topic comments...after all no one is forcing you to read it...

I will say that I feel off topic posts in sales should be moderated, just for the seller/buyers courtesy....

I think as long as it doesn't wander too far off from what the op orginally wanted its ok.   Sometimes the off topic discussions leads to other solutions which the OP may have never considerd before.

+1 Well said.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 20:48:22 »
Though I don't specifically have a favored outlook either way on off topic posts... I will admit I am guilty of it... But I will also say the way the site is now is a major reason why I frequent this forum soo much, and more so than other forums.... I feel most forums that target the issue of being off topic are too unbecoming... some try way too hard, most drive away people, and it's really all for not...

I understand the clutter can be bothersome... but is it really that unbearable?, most all off topic convos are funny, or still have some relevance to the original post, and it isn't really that hard to weed out the good from the rift raft off topic comments...after all no one is forcing you to read it...

I will say that I feel off topic posts in sales should be moderated, just for the seller/buyers courtesy....

+1 Well said.

+1

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 22:36:32 »
are you FREAKIN kidding me !! am i reading these posts right ????? Boonjob AND Blown76mav are agreeing on the same subject ??? this is toooo funny!
glad to see it . IMHO

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 22:49:03 »
I think it's OK the way it is.  I think... SQUIRREL!!!  Good movie.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 23:22:03 »
I do think somtimes it gets a little out of control.  When ever the topic starts out as a skimmer question and next thing we know we are talking about ZOMBIES! LOL I am not pointing anyone out tha is just the only thing I could think of.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 00:23:30 »
Thanks all for the good feedback, just what we were looking for. Sometimes it is hard for us to determine what we should do. This thread gives us something to refer back to. Loud and clear on the for sale threads.  :police:

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 02:58:27 »
I think it's OK the way it is.  I think... SQUIRREL!!!  Good movie.

OMG I read this and really LOL'ed. It is a good movie.

Sorry back on topic.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 11:33:42 »
Yea squirrels are awesome as are groundhogs, and hogs.  My brother has a farm that he uses tractors on, only John Deere though.  Anyone know if an IPod Touch can take good pictures of tractors?

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:40 »
Depends.... Off topic posts sometimes leads to 'aha' moments.

Other times they are rabbit holes that go on forever and lead nowhere.

I'm more for a free and open format.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 12:14:47 »
Yea squirrels are awesome as are groundhogs, and hogs.  My brother has a farm that he uses tractors on, only John Deere though.  Anyone know if an IPod Touch can take good pictures of tractors?

Nice
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Viggen

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 13:03:14 »
Tanner Foust is a great drifter

never been a fan of drifting, more euro rally x
300g tub o fish

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 15:00:51 »
Going off topic doesn't bother me, if it does other people, they can always put the  :offTopic on their thread to get it back on topic. 

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 15:01:31 »
Yea, I need to get rid of the Santa hat on my avatar ....

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 18:05:58 »
Tanner Foust is a great drifter

never been a fan of drifting, more euro rally x

LOL, I was very tempted to take this topic and run with it quite the same way Viggen did.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 18:12:53 »
drifting squared = gymkhana

300g tub o fish