2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Is there a way to turn off ads?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
Is there a way to turn off ads?
« on: April 01, 2013, 22:39:08 »
I've noticed that I can't use the back button on forum topics without hitting it repeatedly sometimes. It seems that some ads* get refreshed every X seconds, or a series of ads get shown on page load sometimes, which causes another entry in my browser history. So if I'm looking at a topic list, like the 'unread posts' list, then click on a topic, sometimes I have to hit [back] [back] [back] [back] to get to the topic list again. I'm a keyboard jockey, I rarely use the mouse if I don't have to.

Any way that an option could be added to turn that off? Perhaps as a perk for members?

It's not a big deal, I just thought I'd ask.

*I'll admit that I don't actually *see* the ads, since I have an ad blocker for my browser. ;)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Is there a way to turn off ads?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 23:07:35 »
I always use the back button, I have not noticed anything........

What browser are you using?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 23:08:38 »
Are you using Chrome with AdBlock?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 23:10:38 »
Yup, chrome w/ adblock. Let me try in firefox, see if the same behavior happens.

Strange, it appears to be chrome only (works in FF, whether adblock is on or not), and only with adblock enabled. It's like blocking the ads causes an additional page refresh.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 23:19:08 by Ashlar »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 23:18:26 »
I have a mouse that can assign keyboard macros. One button is page down and one button is home. This allows me when I am at bottom of page to click home button and that puts my mouse x/y axis right on the unread topics button. It is kind of nice and makes quick work on navigation. I didn't quite understand what trouble the back button was giving you. I do have ohioreef.com on my white list so the ads show otherwise I was getting some odd behavior. I love adblock for Youtube. It is fantastic, haven't seen a commercial since the day I installed it. It rocks!

I can make ads disappear for premium members but these are in most cases our local sponsors and we have a contract with them. It shouldn't have any on the unread message page just the forum pages. Are you seeing ads on the unread message page?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 23:20:14 »
Okay I see your edit, that sounds like some of the weirdness I was having with it on Ohio Reef. Hopefully white listing it will fix the issue for you.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 23:20:43 »
No worries, now that I know it's an ablock thing, I can just turn it off for this site.

I'm not seeing ads on the unread topics page, it was only when I jumped into a topic that I saw this oddity.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 23:24:35 »
Okay cool