2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sump  (Read 3306 times)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
Sump
« on: February 16, 2009, 19:50:23 »
Do any of you DIYers make sumps?  I am thinking aboujt getting a 125 long and would need a new sup.  My 30 gal I have now is too wide.  If you make them and would make one for sell let me know. 

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Sump
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 20:09:08 »
I've made glass sumps before, and we're about to undertake the project of a large acrylic fully-customized sump for the 120g.  Glass sumps are a cinch...I can't speak for acrylic (I can tell you they're expensive!!)

I forget who it was (sorry...) but someone on here supposedly is good at acrylic and makes nice sumps (was it blownmav?)  Will was talking to him about it at the last meeting. 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 20:27:09 »
What is the advantage of an acrylic sump over glass???
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 21:15:33 »
You can really get creative with acrylic...especially if you have weird space issues.  It's easier to work/drill too.  Glass isn't something most people can cut in their garages...and you can't bend it or drill it as easily.  For basic designs, glass sumps are great (I've made two.)  For craziness...acrylic IMO. 

And...I'm a dork...I like learning new things all the time.  I don't like saying I don't know how to do something, so learning acrylic is on my list of things to learn before I die.  :)

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 21:22:17 »
Blown76mav makes acrylic sumps. He does nice work. Acrylic is quite a bit more expensive than building one out of an aquarium. The advantages of acrylic is you can customize the size to exactly what you need and take advantage of all available space. The following pictures are the sumps blownmav built for me. My tank is 48x13x24 (60 gal) and I was able to fit 30 gal. of sump under it.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 21:26:11 »
Acrylic is a lot lighter. As Nikki said you can do more with acrylic as far as design goes without to much trouble.  I know the guy that makes the acrylic sumps if you want to get into conatct with him send me a PM.  He is a friend of mine.  He isn't cheap but he does GREAT work and can make it fit your needs perfectly.
Dayton,Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 21:59:23 »
I have made several sumps out of acrylic and it's pretty easy, the key is taking your time and having the right materials to build with.  If money is an issue, then stick with glass it's less.  But, as mentioned above you create some sweet stuff with acrylic.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 22:00:39 »
Acrylic is a lot lighter. As Nikki said you can do more with acrylic as far as design goes without to much trouble.  I know the guy that makes the acrylic sumps if you want to get into conatct with him send me a PM.  He is a friend of mine.  He isn't cheap but he does GREAT work and can make it fit your needs perfectly.

Once again you "know a guy" for every situation :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 22:20:17 »
LOL.  It pays to know people and make contacts.  Being the shy person that I am.  :)  I think somebody on here had a sump built by "My Guy".  I'm just not sure who.

Actually I have made several aquariums out of glass and would be happy to help you make one or do it for you.  All you would need is the glass cut to size.  Which any glass shop can do for you.  I actually have glass cutting tools but don't have access to the right kind of sander to make the edges smooth anymore.  Depending on the size of the tank you want 1 tube of 100% silicon would take care of your needs for the most part.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 22:27:34 by JSLeedy »
Dayton,Ohio

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 07:04:55 »
Thanks for the info.  I may try and get this done soon if I get my new tank.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:18:12 »
Now that I think about it, my grandpa used to own a glass shop and my cousin has one now,he probably can get me the glass and have it sanded. 

Blown76mav

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:43 »
I make them as others have stated.  Shoot me a PM if your interested.  Here's my latest.  its 48"x16"x16" 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:53 »
nice work, have you started polishing the edges yet?  That's were the fun is and it brings out the beauty.  here's the one I made for my personal tank a few years ago, I have since sold it.

Blown76mav

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 16:55:04 »
nice work, have you started polishing the edges yet?  That's were the fun is and it brings out the beauty.  here's the one I made for my personal tank a few years ago, I have since sold it.

Thanks,

Normally I polish the edges when I do them for others, but since this is mine I didn't go through the work.  I'm thinking of doing the flame polishing one the next one I do for myself, thinking of doing a 2x2x2 cube with a built in overflow.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 21:52:28 »
careful with the flame polishing...I have bubbled some acrylic with it.  if you're careful you should fine though...be sure to post pics of it!