2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: ATO  (Read 2415 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
ATO
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:35:56 »
Has anyone here built one? They seem to be pretty straight forward but i wanted to get any advice from those who have made one so i dont make any of the same mistakes you have. I was thinking of hooking it up to my tap water so i have an endless supply of water which would pass through a large carbon filter. I'm not worried about the chlorine in the water simply for the fast that it will be small amounts mixed in with 300g of saltwater.

I haven’t had a chance to look up any parts for this but my only concern is that since tap water has pressure behind it, how to shut the pressure off once the reservoir is full. I’m thinking that I would like to have a double float for a failsafe (both must fall low to activate the valve to fill it) so that I don’t come home to a freshwater tank.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: ATO
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 20:37:35 »
Why not just use a float valve.....they will hold 50-75 psi easily.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 23:17:50 »
I built one using an Aqua Lifter pump and a float switch. Here's a pic: http://www.ohioreef.com/filtration.html

I've had it running for several years now with no major issues.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:21:20 »
thanks guys. I havent had time to look at how many psi the float switches can handle and I'm not sure how much psi is behind my water. I'll have to do some looking next week when i get a chance.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:45:15 »
thanks guys. I havent had time to look at how many psi the float switches can handle and I'm not sure how much psi is behind my water. I'll have to do some looking next week when i get a chance.

Well I know they shut down my RO system, and that has 75psi behind it.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:11 »
Yeah they should work, I highly doubt you have much more than 60psi. certainly not above 80.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:22 »
how often do you clean the valve?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:09:23 »
how often do you clean the valve?

Never.  The water going through the valve is fresh water......the valve stays above the waterline anyway.    I guess I'll clean the float once in a while.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:22:15 »
yeah, duh, what was i thinking.....

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:30:20 »
yeah, duh, what was i thinking.....

It's a bit hard to grasp :)   I'm not sure why more folks don't do it.   I would suspect that the largest reason is that they don't have a gravity feed supply.   But you could use it with a small pump too.  Just run the pump every so often, the float valve would be the high limit safety.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:28 »
my only concern is that i'll most likely hook this to my tap water and the pressure from that i am uncertain of and have the tap water run through some carbon. My water here is pretty good and been using it for a long time this way. Next weekend i think i may get the water line ran and stuff because i am getting a bit tired of filling my sump with 5gal of water every 3-4 days. And school is a major contributor as to why i'm getting tired of it.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 13:32:23 »
my only concern is that i'll most likely hook this to my tap water and the pressure from that i am uncertain of and have the tap water run through some carbon. My water here is pretty good and been using it for a long time this way. Next weekend i think i may get the water line ran and stuff because i am getting a bit tired of filling my sump with 5gal of water every 3-4 days. And school is a major contributor as to why i'm getting tired of it.

Most float valves are bulkhead fittings.  So you will need a hole at the appropriate level.   There is internal adjustment on the float valve for level as well.    Leaving the water on all of the time is not a problem.     

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 20:44:06 »
The big negative to what you're planning is what happens if the valve fails or something gets stuck in there? You'll end up flooding your house. With my setup the worst that happens is I get 5gal of extra water in the sump.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 21:40:49 »
yeah, that's why I was hoping to implement a double float system which I'll have to research.