2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Stay away from Fritz & LA Salt  (Read 3355 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Stay away from Fritz & LA Salt
« on: September 28, 2019, 17:35:09 »
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fritz-salt-issues.645518/

It is very possible all my problems came from bad salt.  LA Salt is made by Fritz. Folks are having the same issues I did. I was pretty emotional reading that thread today with so many folks describing the issues occur in same manner.  I will never know if it was some containment in the salt but wanted to share with my reef friends just in case it is an issue. All my problem went away when I switched to RC a couple months back. I was suspect then because it was such a radical improvement but until now I didn’t have any other accounts to back up the speculation.

Jesse didn’t you use LA and switch to RC as well and your problems went away?

Thanks Nick for letting me know about the active thread

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Stay away from Fritz & LA Salt
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 17:48:12 »
Seems like monti’s are the first to go with this potential salt issue. I think that was my first hit coral then lps

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 18:32:26 »
holy cow it is like exactly what i have been going through the past few months! 100%

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 20:30:52 »
hopefully a change will help you out.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 21:13:32 »
Yes Brian. I have been using LA salt for a while. Since rebooting the 75, I was still having SPS issues and yes, the Montis immediately lost skin when I put them in. The odd thing I caught with that particular box of LA salt was that it was mixing in the 11-13 dKh range. That was really out of the ordinary.

I can’t 100% say the salt was my problem because I hooked up a UV and did a 50% WC with new 50% LA salt and 50% Red Sea Blue within a couple days of each other. But after reading all the anecdotal evidence on that thread, I’m thinking it was the salt.

I do know that I am just thankful that my corals are doing better than ever at this point.

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 22:38:06 »
Maybe someone could explain what the deal is. I have several boxes of LA salt in storage and sure don’t want to use something that’s going to cause trouble.
Thanks, Jim

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 22:54:40 »
We had major issues last year i think it was. Erin got a deal on a box of i think fritz so we decided to try it. I had all kinds of issues and lost several corals. Never figured out if it was the salt but went back to my cheap instant ocean and reef crystals. Now my issues are just due to my lack of time spent monitoring.

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 22:56:11 »
Also I've said it for a long time. People get all excited when all these new salts come out thinking they are the perfect reef salt but the reason i like these bigger brands like instant ocean is that they are made up in much bigger batches so less room for error.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 23:15:49 »
I’ve been using it this summer after I ran out of Tropic Marin. No issues so far but maybe I just dodged the bullet from last years batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 23:34:36 »
I’ve been using it this summer after I ran out of Tropic Marin. No issues so far but maybe I just dodged the bullet from last years batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m wondering if it wasn’t just a particular batch number. This new box I’ve used twice is mixing at 9.0 Alk and that’s much closer to all of the LA salt I’ve used, aside from my last box (when I was having Monti deaths)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 23:37:25 »
Maybe someone could explain what the deal is. I have several boxes of LA salt in storage and sure don’t want to use something that’s going to cause trouble.
Thanks, Jim
I don’t know that there’s a definitive answer. Brian and I both sent water for testing and our numbers were pretty close. Nothing crazy out of whack. So it may have been some kind of contaminent in that batch. We will likely never know for sure.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 23:40:09 »
Also I've said it for a long time. People get all excited when all these new salts come out thinking they are the perfect reef salt but the reason i like these bigger brands like instant ocean is that they are made up in much bigger batches so less room for error.
I would have to agree. It’s making that $72 price tag on Red Sea Blue look a lot smarter than the hundreds of dollars in lost coral....

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 08:40:50 »
I actually need more salt and to do a large WC i lost a mille this past week, my tank was showing very improved colors from the past few months. I will change salt to TM or Red Sea, we will see what is in stock today!

I will try and document what i notice. my tank has had some serious ups and down in the past 2 years, most of it was documented. It all started with a monty shedding its flesh and has been hit or miss ever since. Strange enough that is around the time i started Fritz RPM salt...... I have never thought the salt was the issue but i almost threw in the towel a few weeks ago. Funny how i just got the basement finished with the tank in the wall but so disgruntled im ready to just call it quits...

seeing the salt could be the issue has me interested to switch do a massive WC and see what happens. Stand by!

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 09:08:44 »
Please keep us posted Erky. Hopefully a change in salt will turn your tank around.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 17:28:05 »
I've been burned by many different brands of salt over the years.  RSCP nuked my tank once too.   This was some of the last salt they sold before they "Re-branded"

When I finally decide to reboot my tank, I'm really thinking of using Cheap Instant Ocean, and then adding my own supplements.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 18:15:14 »
Yes keep us updated Eric

I remember the Red Sea coral pro issue Paul.

Anyone else using LA or Fritz with no problems. Let us know if it is recent or old. Brian my la Salt was old about a year ago. Maybe a bit longer.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 08:10:54 »
today I plan to do a 30 gal water change roughly 15% of my tank volume. i have a triton test kit laying around i wonder if i should do a before and after the bucket water test?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 14:21:50 »
triton sample taken and WC completed.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 12:49:50 »
I have seen some color loss is a few of my sps and what few zoas I have just don’t do well, in fact most of them were closed up yesterday. I am preparing a 30% wc with crystals and will be curious if it changes anything. My biggest question of the salt being possibly bad is that Brian always saw improvement right after a large wc and I believe Jesse did also. Wc were at that time being done with la salt.  If the salt was a problem wouldn’t a large water change using la salt just compound the problems instead of temporarily helping?
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 14:06:21 »
This is my hypothetical Jeff...the corals were only happy for a couple days and then they would get bad looking. The only way I can put it, is that all corals, regardless of their normal color, would start turning a dull gun metal blue/grey. Not until I started doing 50%/50% salt did the corals seem to be happy longer. But, everything will start looking really bad if I don’t do the 20% weekly. So my thought is that the contaminent takes a few days to start harming the coral and until then, the corals are happy with the new trace elements. That’s just my observations.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 21:33:51 »
Jeff that is why I never thought it could be the salt and didn’t change it. It is all speculation. If someome posts that they are having an issue with brand abc salt. Anyone having tank issues that is also using abc salt could easily blame
The salt. That may be what happens in that thread.
Echoing what Jesse said it is also possible that if their is a containment in salt that affects coral. Water change could still be beneficial to the inhabitants showing a mild temporary improvement.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 22:09:50 »
I performed a 40% water change last week with reef crystals.  I have seen no difference in my zoas and my hell fire goni.  No improvement of my p/e which I would love to see better.  From this I believe my issues are not with salt.  I was hoping to see an improvement which didnt happen so I have ordered a icp test.  Maybe that might show something.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 07:59:24 »
I am still not sure whether my salt was the problem or not because I’ve been on a new box of LA salt for a while now. I did do a 100% Reef Crystals water change last week and although my tank is doing good, I didn’t see any significant changes. I’m guessing at this point the new salt or the UV took care of whatever was going on. I’m just happy to see great stick growth after all this time...

I performed a 40% water change last week with reef crystals.  I have seen no difference in my zoas and my hell fire goni.  No improvement of my p/e which I would love to see better.  From this I believe my issues are not with salt.  I was hoping to see an improvement which didnt happen so I have ordered a icp test.  Maybe that might show something.
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 12:29:58 »
got my triton results back, Li and Zn were high but that doesnt mean much as it could be the salt mix, i think a lot of them have those elevated.