2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Cycling a new tank  (Read 1415 times)

Offline JSellars

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Cycling a new tank
« on: January 07, 2020, 08:24:04 »
Curious what everyone’s outlook is on cycling a new tank. There are a few different ways, but which way do you prefer? Dry rock? Live rock? Dry sand? Live sand? Raw shrimp? Ammonia drops? Live fish? Chemicals? Etc....

Hate asking these kinds of questions on the big FB pages, so I figured I’d ask the local guys.

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: Cycling a new tank
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:48:02 »
whatever rock you use cure it first, then use dr tims, then go super slow adding anything.

I think BRS did a video of a tank, they set up a fuge right away to help is GHA later on.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:07:39 »
In the past two years I’ve tried multiple products on different batches of rock including One and Only, Biospira, Turbo Start, and MicroBacter7. I’ve had the best luck with MicroBacter7 as if I remember correctly that cycled a tank in less than 10 days. As for the rest of them, they’ve probably been a waste of money. I’m not saying this is always the case, but it’s my personal experience. Dry sand as opposed to live sand hasn’t made a difference in cycling, but it’s possible live sand could add to biodiversity. I’ve also cycled without sand with no problem. Typically I just use drops of ammonia to cycle the tank. Important thing like Erik mentioned is be mindful of the speed at which you add waste producing livestock even after cycling. Your rock will take time to build up bacteria that feed on nitrate and convert it to nitrogen gas. On another note that I have noticed, I think sand beds have helped with nitrate levels when properly maintained.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 13:51:50 »
I tried Dr Tim’s with ammonia drops on the Nuvo 10g.  Still took about a month to cycle iirc.  Dry rock takes FOREVER to really colonize and mature.  It took about 9 months to get through  dinos and the ugly phase, but things are balanced out now.  I haven’t decided fully what I’m going to do with the 75g this year as far as curing and cycling, but we’ll figure it out...

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 14:34:15 »
The frag tank that me and Spanish are doing has been cycling a couple weeks now. Dry rock, dry sand all in sump, added a bottle of dr. Tim’s one and only, and a damsel to cycle it. Now just playing the waiting game for it to cycle. Wondering if we should add a piece of live rock to help jump start it.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 22:16:38 »
A piece of live rock will definitely help.  Try not to put a piece with algae or other organic tissue, as you will likely get some decay, and that could create a really big spike.

I realize that it's just a damsel, but is is an animal. You might want to have some Prime on hand in case the ammonia gets out of control.