2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Culturing Phytoplankton  (Read 2691 times)

Offline gthorpe2

• Adult
Culturing Phytoplankton
« on: November 19, 2008, 13:28:29 »
Ok so yesterday I got everything I need to start culturing phyto. I'm using the method found on Melevsreef.com. I'm hoping to start and set everything up this weekend.

Starting...

Items needed; a bottle of Miracle Grow Houseplant liquid food ($3.00 at Home Depot), a 18" under cabinet light ($7.00 at Wal-Mart), DT's Phyto, that I picked up at the Frag Swap, a bottle of Kent's Essential Elements, I already had, Air pump ($10.00 at petsmart), Airline tubing 25' ($3.00 at Petsmart), Empty 2 Liters (I have 5 empty, but you only need one or two)

I'm going to place these in a closet with the light on for 16 hours a day and 8 hours off, with the air pump running continious, but not at a "boil"

In each 2 liter you'll need to fill it up about 2" from the top with a salt mix of 1.019 sg
Drill a hole thru the top of the 2 liter cap so the airline tube can fit. Run the air line tubing to the bottom of the 2 liter.
I'm going to use a half bottle of DT's per 2 liter
Pictures will be posted on Saturday...

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
Re: Culturing Phytoplankton
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 14:43:54 »
Nice let me know how it works out! I'm very interested in how things go for you!
Inspired!!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 16:22:52 »
Good Luck!

Offline gthorpe2

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 17:36:45 »
I had some time today to start culturing phyto.  I'll let everyone know how it works out.