2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: pH  (Read 1296 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
pH
« on: January 30, 2021, 21:18:57 »
Since I’ve gotten my Apex my pH has been running between 7.5 and 7.8. It drops to 7.5 overnight and recovers to 7.8 during the day. If I test with my API test kit I always get ~8.2.

Should I be worried about getting it brought up or should I be more concerned with stability?

My alk is 8dkh. I’ve not tested calcium, don’t have a test kit yet.

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: pH
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 11:54:18 »
This is an issue we all deal with in the winter and sometimes summer. We keep our houses shut up and CO2 levels go up and PH comes down. Even in the winter I try to air my house out periodically to help with this. Though I haven't noticed any outward negative effects, it does slow down coral growth. I have to keep an eye on my dosing levels to make sure that my alk and CA aren't getting too high.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 12:35:06 »
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if that wasn’t some of the issue. I’ll get a Ca kit and make sure alk and Ca are staying in line and not worry too much about it. I know we sometimes get too hung up in chasing numbers. Before the Apex I had no idea what my pH was doing other than a test once a week.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:32:56 »
Only real negative I’ve found, like Steve, is slowed coral growth. My Alkatronic proved it. I was seeing about 1/2 as much consumption with lower pH (7.8ish) than higher pH (8.2ish).

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 12:31:11 »
You may want to calibrate your Apex Ph probe. I calibrate mine every 6 to 12 months. BRS recommends every 3 months. As Steve pointed out, CO2 is trapped in the house with us (and cause by us/our pets exhalations). I do pull outside air for the skimmer which helps. You can also use CO2 absorbing material on the input airline to the skimmer as well. Opening the windows this time of year can be chilly. CO2 is heavy and does gravitate to lower elevation, like a basement and lower levels of the home. I monitor Ph and ORP to alert me that something dramatic has changed. i don't chase Ph or ORP. Stability is key.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 16:47:32 »
It was calibrated when I got it like three weeks ago.