2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: rhodactis fragging/moving  (Read 4958 times)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
rhodactis fragging/moving
« on: April 10, 2009, 21:20:07 »
I bought a some rhodactis mushrooms several weeks ago and they are doing great (thanks coral ranch).  However, they are getting huge and overcrowding is a concern.  Will they migrate to more open areas?
Is there any easy way to frag them to create more room or can I remove several without causing major problems?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline jeblin

• Adult
Re: rhodactis fragging/moving
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 22:28:05 »
I'm pretty sure you can frag them just like a normal mushroom ( razor blade through the center, cut the head off the foot, etc ). I think you want part of the mouth on each frag though so you want to make sure you cut fairly accurately. If you want to just move some, you can use a chisel/screwdriver and slowly chip the rock away where its attached. Once you get it loose, just glue the rock chips its foot is still attached to another rock.

If you decide to frag, there's a good thread on here from LazyLivin (if I remember correctly) about how to get the frags attached to rocks.

If I'm wrong, then someone please correct me. I fragged my regular red mushrooms like this and it worked pretty well.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 22:40:50 »

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 23:24:19 »
Thanks the guys at coral ranch showed me that way and I already used it (I don't know who came up with it but it has worked great).
jeblin,
you said cut the head off the foot?  Does that mean cut it like you're cutting a tree down or like you would cut a pizza?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 00:14:12 »
Thanks the guys at coral ranch showed me that way and I already used it (I don't know who came up with it but it has worked great).
jeblin,
you said cut the head off the foot?  Does that mean cut it like you're cutting a tree down or like you would cut a pizza?

I think jeblin meant cutting like a pizza, but only into two pieces.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:00 »
That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:51:13 »
jeblin,

I've read of people cutting the head off the foot (like a lumberjack) and the foot grows another head as well.

http://www.fragoutpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229

Offline verper

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:56:22 »
I've also read where you can cut a wedge off the foot to propagate.  Everything stays attached to the rock, but the wedge grows another mushroom or ricordia.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:03 »
I always wondered about that.  Some of my mushrooms seem to move and as they leave a little bit of the foot and that ends up growing into another mushroom.  Could you recreate this by cutting a chunk off the bottom (not like cutting a tree down but just taking a wedge out)?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Reefd Up

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:14:42 »
What color are the rhodactis...if you frag an extra one that I don't have yet...I might be interested!  :)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:27:37 »
What color are the rhodactis...if you frag an extra one that I don't have yet...I might be interested!  :)
I posted a picture of them on the member tank profiles: bkvreef 220.
Actually they are a little darker than that more of a purplish hue to them.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 19:10:47 »
i had a nice green & purple long tentacle rhodactis and for some reason it melted :( i'd be interested in trying more if & when anyone frags some out, they are pretty sweet
55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings