2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How to glue on frags?  (Read 9598 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
How to glue on frags?
« on: September 05, 2010, 20:50:56 »
How to glue on a wet frag to an underwater rock?  I don't think that thick super glue or the 14.99 a tube epoxy putty works very good for this.  all advice welcome.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: How to glue on frags?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 21:01:34 »
Best to do it dry......but It can be done.  Use the Superglue Gel......and lots of it.   There is some discussion here

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8079.msg69360#msg69360

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 21:32:22 »
How to glue on a wet frag to an underwater rock?  I don't think that thick super glue or the 14.99 a tube epoxy putty works very good for this.  all advice welcome.

Kev

I never developed the correct technique.  it SUCKS!!! My fingers are normally covered in superglue when I am done and i spend a few hours with my knife picking it off lol.  The best explaination I have heard is use the epoxy and superglue togeather.  the trick is, a ball of wet superglue forms a shell as it dries when it hits the water,  You have to squish the ball you make and "pop" it so wet superglue gets on to the wet rocks.

1. Mold a little peice of underwater putty
2. Put a ball of superglue on in
3. put frag to the superglue on the putty and form a base
4. Put ALOT of superglue onto the bottom of the putty
5. put putty into tank and stick to rock

The key is to use superglue to hold frag to putty and putty to rock until the putty dries.

Basicly using the putty as a object that will conform to the rockwork and provide a place to put a frag.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 21:36:26 by cyberwollf »
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 21:38:43 »
The best explaination I have heard is use the epoxy and superglue togeather.  the trick is, a ball of wet superglue forms a shell as it dries when it hits the water,  You have to squish the ball you make and "pop" it so wet superglue gets on to the wet rocks.

This process works great for LPS.  Not so well with SPS.  Try not to get any adhesive on live tissue.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 22:03:41 »
This process works great for LPS.  Not so well with SPS.  Try not to get any adhesive on live tissue.
i have used it and it has worked on my sps a lost better than strate superglue but i try to keep it at the base
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 22:12:08 »

OHh yea I have fingerprints of death on a few lol.  Expoy and superglue will both kill areas you touch

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:37:12 »
I find the spot I want the coral, and look for a dip, or a flat spot. Then i take a bowl of tank water, put super glue on the frag, dip it, glue, dip, a few times. So I have a layer of glue. Then I put it on the rock and spin it back and forth a bit to make it stick. Never had an issue doing it this way :)

Offline motley

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:31:33 »
the best way is to make sort of a glue putty sandwitch by taking the plug and putting glue on that then some putty and then glue on the bottom of the putty.  place it in the whole you would like and your done ive glued  all of my coral in this way and it looks great. 

this is a link to show you exactily what i mean with pictures.
 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148730   
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:34:01 by motley »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:13:48 »
Yep pictures make it much easier to explain

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 12:38:56 »
the best way is to make sort of a glue putty sandwitch by taking the plug and putting glue on that then some putty and then glue on the bottom of the putty.  place it in the whole you would like and your done ive glued  all of my coral in this way and it looks great. 

this is a link to show you exactily what i mean with pictures.
 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148730

That looks like a mess lol.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 12:45:22 »
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline motley

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 13:02:04 »
+1

yah it looks crazy but trust me it works great.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 21:12:04 »
I tried the CA glue/dip and skin/glue/dip and skin sandwich and it works pretty good.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline caffeine2109

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 22:16:46 »
My my Kenya tree frags have attached to tiny rocks, could I glue these to larger rocks without harming them?

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 00:12:44 »
Its usually best, with soft corals, to use a rubber band or something similar to keep them connected to what you want them on. Sometimes, if there isn't a lot of flow to dislodge them, they'll attach on their own. If you use a rubber band just make sure it doesn't pinch to tight or it may cut them in half.

This has been my experience, anyway.
Brent McCloskey

Offline volcano

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 17:39:55 »
I use a concoction of JB waterweld and superglue gel. Just work the epoxy in your fingers, dab some super glue gel on the each side of epoxy that needs to stick.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 19:51:09 »
My my Kenya tree frags have attached to tiny rocks, could I glue these to larger rocks without harming them?

Yes

I use a concoction of JB waterweld and superglue gel. Just work the epoxy in your fingers, dab some super glue gel on the each side of epoxy that needs to stick.

I use this combination alot also.

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 14:57:45 »
I don't know who brought this back from the dead but I want to thank you for doing so as I will be getting ready in the very short / near future in placement of corals in my main display