2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hello from monroe ohio  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Bigtom802l

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Hello from monroe ohio
« on: February 25, 2013, 22:02:46 »
Hi all,

I am new to this group and am looking forward to sharing and learning from everyone here.  So a little about myself I have had a fish only salt water tank for about 8 years now.  It is a 55 gallon corner tank.  I was considering turning it into reef.  As I started taking a look at what i have and soon realized that my sump, lights, and pumps would not be up to the task for what I would like to do.  I was planning on starting with some soft corals and eventually moving to SPS in time.  Lucky for me my son also needs a new tank for his aquatic turtle.  So a deal was struck and I get a new tank and he get the corner tank for the turtle.  After some more discussions/negotiations with my wife we decided on a 5 foot tank as the main display tank.  It will be 60" long by 18" wide and 24" high.  Which by the way arrived today.  I wanted a glass tank which was surprising difficult to find.  I ended up getting one from glass cages and it is nice.  It has two overflow boxes and is predrilled.  My stand and canopy is coming from a builder up in michigan (RJ'S Aquarium Stands) and so far i am loving what he is making.  We get progress report on the builds along with pictures.  It is all built now and he is staining it to match other things in the room.  Anyway i should have the stank i a little over two weeks.  I also order a new sump which is here.  The sump is the trigger elite sump and i have a eheim pump to go with that.  I plan on using my existing lights for a little while until i get new ones for the bigger tank.  I plan on using the existing live rock i have plus some new rock which i will have to buy soon but am getting rid of all the old sand.  I will be needing a new protein skimmer for this tank setup and that is were i am currently doing some research and trying to decide what i want.  I have been looking at the reef octopus super reef skimmer and there new POV skimmer but am still looking.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a 125 ish gallon reef tank?  Also I am going to need a new light for the refugium and am also not sure what to get there.  Any advise would be great.  Thanks Tom

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Hello from monroe ohio
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 22:06:06 »
Ollo & Welcome to Ohio Reef!

Offline Kenn

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 22:24:57 »
Welcome to the Ohio Reef Tom!

Sounds like you have things planned out well. Cant wait to see pics of the new build.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:41:34 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef, I am right around the corner in Middletown if there is anything I can help you with.

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:13:52 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef!  I work in Monroe if you need some help, but be warned I am new to reef tanks as well.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:45:50 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef.
Chromiumlux

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 13:13:40 »
welcome!

Offline volcano

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 13:01:52 »
Welcome to the club!  You have come to a great place.