2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Someone to cut an inch and a half off a 30" glass top (and the glass top) ;)  (Read 810 times)

Offline jeblin

• Adult
Don't ask me how, but I have blown this cut four times now on glass tops for my 29G.

Hopefully looking for someone that has a set of 30" glass tops that can cut 1.5" off the back side of one of the panes. I didn't remember it being this difficult the last time I cut glass but that was 15+ years ago. I don't think glass makeup on aquarium tops haven't changed that much though ;)

I can pick up another top if I can find someone that is confident in cutting it if they don't already have a set. Just let me know. Thanks!

Jerry

Offline dbjonesjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Are you using the score and break method? If so maybe try clamping a long solid board of some sort on the 1.5” section and break off the rest.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
Are you using the score and break method? If so maybe try clamping a long solid board of some sort on the 1.5” section and break off the rest.

I did on the 2nd one and still fubar'd it :D

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Maybe tempered?
Jeff

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Yup - that would be my next thought. You might be able to get a custom piece of glass from a glass shop somewhere. Pretty cheap too.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
If they were tempered, they didn't break like it. <shrug>

I'll call around to the local glass shops tomorrow.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
what thickness/ type of glass are you working on? does it make any sense to use low iron glass to pass more light into the Aquarium?

Offline jeblin

• Adult
I was working with aquarium glass lids. Not quite sure on thickness but off hand I’d say 3/16”. I can’t guess on the low iron glass but this is for my 29 tank so I’m not too concerned about that.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
i would check out glass shops. you can specify dimensions and they can ease the edges so that they are not sharp.perhaps more expensive than cutting your own but they cut and sand and you only pay once. Take a piece of what you have if that is what you want so there are no questions about thickness. good luck if you fing a good shop with good prices let us know because you are not the only one trying to customize their tanks. i had weirs fabbed for two sumps and a cover for the center of one.
  I used Englewood Glass, INC. on walnut St that is not too far from you