2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: First time drilling a tank  (Read 1456 times)

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
First time drilling a tank
« on: April 02, 2012, 13:06:22 »
So as many of you know I'm looking to upgrade tanks but one problem I had was I've never drilled a tank I have worked with tons of glass in hot and cold forum Ive been blowing glass for about 8 years this bothered me to pay somone to do somthing I know a lot about so I bought a bit Saturday  and drilled three hole in a 75 worked out great but some reason I still am worried about drilling a Brand new tank what's everyone's thoughts pay or chance ????

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: First time drilling a tank
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 13:28:43 »
I just drilled 4 holes into my 210g.  Easy as pie.  I'd do it with some TLC.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 13:48:07 »
I agree it was very easy only problem I had was one hole chipped a little but nothing I would worry about just alot of what if at this point think I'm going to drill another 75 tonight just for more practice since I have them and no use for them

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 17:51:18 »
  Ive been blowing glass for about 8 years this bothered me

Ahh, words taken out of context, you amuse me.....

In all seriousness though, that's awesome.  I didn't know we had a glass blower in our midst.

You shouldnt have any problems with a new tank unless its tempered. Just go slow and use water as a coolant very liberally.  Just take a deep breath and stay calm. It's gets boring after you set track for the saw to run.