2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Acrylic sump to frag tank conversion.  (Read 2084 times)

Offline INreefone

• Fry
Acrylic sump to frag tank conversion.
« on: April 24, 2012, 15:34:21 »
I bought this frag tank the other day from a fellow reefer who has had to exit the hobby. I was planning to convert it to a frag/growout tank for my system. I didn't need anything too nice and figured this would be a good way for me to get my feet wet in the acrylic work.....

So...as you can see it was just an average ordinary used sump.... there was a weird box in the middle but it did not go all the way to the bottom nor did it reach either side. At first I was going to cut it down and go rimless but after looking and measuring a bunch I decided that maybe I would go with a eurobraced look since the measurements would allow for it. This will also allow for a little more water and greater choice of levels for different corals.

The cutting was really easy with a 60tooth blade on the table saw. Then I flame polished the edges of the cuts with a propane torch. The cuts are not perfect and the edges aren't clear but it was my very first time. If I had spent time sanding the edges and corners they would have turned out much better. The tank is actually really nice. I may need to think about polishing it out.....

Now for the pics.....

BEFORE:

After:
54g Corner bowfront, Orphek Lighting, DA reefkeeper elite, Sump/fuge, GAC, GFO, skimmer

Offline HUNGER

Re: Acrylic sump to frag tank conversion.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 15:43:33 »
Nice work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 15:48:01 »
Looks really good. I likes it.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 15:54:48 »
looks good

Offline INreefone

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 20:07:52 »
Well... all was going well until I decided that the corners weren't good enough and tried to flame polish them a little more....

Apparently I overheated the acrylic and as it cooled it stressed and cracked in 2 opposite corners. Looks like this is going to be a rimless tank after all.....

Back to the table saw.....

:'(

54g Corner bowfront, Orphek Lighting, DA reefkeeper elite, Sump/fuge, GAC, GFO, skimmer

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 21:19:26 »
ouch
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 22:21:44 »
ya flame polishing a glued edge is terrible idea.  You weaken the joint and it will fail. 

Also if thats a 1/4 inch thick (which it looks like) rimmless isn't going to work either, its gonna bow badly.

Offline INreefone

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 22:25:10 »
If I go rimless I am going to cut it at 11 inches and run 8-9 inches of water in it. That should take care of most of the bowing.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 22:29:29 »
The last one I built was 36" long, 24" wide 12" tall.  At 8" of water it bowed almost 1" on the 36" side.  Needless to say I installed a top brace.

Offline INreefone

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 22:55:32 »
So...I need to figure out how to replace the eurobracing......