2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Conch Spawning  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Joel

• Adult
Conch Spawning
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:37:30 »
I got in a bunch of Kings Crown Conch (Melongena Corona) a while ago and pretty much forgot I had them. These guys bury them selves in the sand and slowly rut around so I didn't see them much so, out of sight - out of mind. I noticed a couple weeks ago what looked like egg cases all over the rocks and even on some of the corals in the tank that they are in. I recognized them from seeing them in the wild in southern & central flordia but I wasn't sure what exactly they were. Now I know. I put a string of them in the acrylic coral tank and in about 14 days or so, they have disapeerd so I am assuming (hoping) that they have "hatched". I have a few other rocks that have more egg cases on them that I hope will hatch, I put them in a few different places not knowing what is the most ideal for their offspring. Kind of neat but I'm not sure what triggered it. Might be (most likely) dumb luck or just a seasonal thing. If they have not all hatch yet, I'm going to take some pictures and see if I can grow some out. I need to do a little research on the reproductive and grow out needs for these guy, I have no idea what they need. Anyway, just a neat thing (to me anyway) that happened recently.

Joel

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Conch Spawning
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:25:46 »
Very cool!  I hope they have hatched for you! 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:01:47 »
me too. I haven't had conch fritters in a long time :laugh:

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:16:47 »
Ewwww!!!  LOL.  Hey, it's free merchandise! 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 15:45:58 »
Some of the egg cases and the parrents

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 23:02:58 »
Some of the egg cases and the parrents

Very nice pictures, Joel!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 21:57:16 »
Joel, I think you sold me your rabbits!  They've been at it in my tank too!  I'm not sure on the mating rituals of these guys, but it's been interesting to watch.  The other day I noticed they wouldn't leave each other's side...and then a couple of days later, I found this! 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 22:17:06 »
Those were more expensive, I will have to charge you additionally next time your in :D

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 20:32:21 »
Joel...I'm never coming back in!  Muahahaha!  You'll have to come get it from me.  Oh wait...you know where I live.  Hm.  Time to make the break for the border!!!

Sooo...these are little bunnies!!!  They'll spend a couple of days together...and then the (female...I assume) will spend a day or so cleaning one spot...and then she'll lay eggs!  Very cool.  I think about 15-20 egg sacs have been laid.