2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Plumbing a reef ready 180  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Mussin

• Adult
Plumbing a reef ready 180
« on: August 01, 2020, 22:42:59 »
getting ready to run return and drain for my 180. My sump is in the basement with 12.5' head pressure.  I have a Jebao 20000 dcp pump. The returns are 1" and the drains are 1.5" (dual) what size line should I run from my pump up to my returns? Would I need to run both drains back to my sump?

Offline dbowman

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Plumbing a reef ready 180
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:16:37 »
i am interested to see what others suggest. it would be my suggestion, even though i don't know what your set up is, to use both drains but valve one of them for noise control and use the other as a open non-siphon. do you have dual returns or just one 1"?
i would use the biggest return line that the pump is set up for depending on access to your sump

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 12:46:52 »
Are you using the standard reef ready setup that comes in tanks? I don’t remember what your photos showed.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 15:39:05 »
Yea just the standard set up. Dual 1" returns and 1.5" drains. Just trying to see how much I should cut through the floor as my sump is in the basement

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 16:10:21 »
You could get away with 1” but cross sectional area of 1.5” is about the same as 2 x 1”. If you’re already going to be plumbing with 1.5” material I’d just plumb the return with that and then split it with a tee once you’re at the tank.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 21:21:06 »
I would make sure i was happy with where the tank was going to be. Then i would cut access to the basement that would allow a straight drop from the bottom of the tank through the floor. I used 1 1/4" return and 1" drains. i cut five 1 1/2" holes with a spade bit through the hardwood floors making sure that i would not hit the floor joists before i placed the tank. with the 1" pvc these holes were great but i had to ream out the one for the 1 1/4 pvc and add a notch for the control wire since i wanted the pump control in the stand. Five holes were one each for the Bean Animal drain, one for the return and one for good luck and so that i could run, maybe, a water change hose or pipe in the future. with your plumbing perhaps a jigsaw might be a good idea, just cut a rectangular hole through the floor inside each end of your tank stand. I am a believer in vertical drain plumbing from the tank to near the sump. this drains better than elbowing just below the tank. use one drain for the siphon and put a gate valve on that one.  For the return i would suggest using 45's; are you planning to run a manifold off of your return for other equipment and functions, or add other pumps for reactors, UV, diversions, etc.? I would put a section of flex poly hose above the pump, valve then 't' off to another valve for future reference then '45' above the 't' add a 't' on the angle aim the resulting 'v' toward the corners of the tank stand and add 45's to resume the vertical to the returns on the bottom of your tank. either run 1.5" up to the tank or drop to 1" at the 'v'. 45's will reduce the flow loss.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 11:37:07 »
Thanks for the help guys

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 00:56:59 »
Should I plumb flex line or hard line right off of the return pump?

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 08:25:10 »
I would use flex for the first couple of feet

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 09:13:48 »
this is my sump return pump set up. i have replaced the bottom steel hose clamp with a plastic clamp but otherwise it is how it is now.
ProLine 1-1/4 in. Dia. x 1-5/8 in. Dia. PVC Vinyl Tubing  bought from Ace hardware

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 13:15:45 »
I'm going to use flex for a foot or 2. Then a union, hard line straight up to the stand then I was thinking of a "y" with flex to each return?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 13:58:33 »
Looks nice, wish I had the room to do something like that.