2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Water changes  (Read 10949 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Water changes
« on: July 01, 2006, 18:52:32 »
Can you change water too often?  We faithfully change the water every 2 weeks bar none.  Until...  recently.  With the baby here and then getting sick, then summer here etc. etc...  We haven't changed the water in probably a month at least!  :o   I got water ready and could do a change tomorrow but in looking atthe tank.  Everything seems to be so much more colorful!  I have one SPS that is all green but when I first bought it from Scott probably a year ago it was a deep purple with green.  I'm actually starting to see the deep purple again.  Now I'm not sure what to do! 

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: Water changes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 18:54:59 »
Your water changes are getting to be like mine, every 4-5 weeks if lucky!!! I'm just waiting for a bombshell, though.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 19:00:48 »
i changed water like every 3 months...never crashed never had a single problem...i think water changes just cost money and time....sure if you have issues or your tnak is young, change the water...otherwise leave it alone

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 19:01:44 »
Your water changes are getting to be like mine, every 4-5 weeks if lucky!!! I'm just waiting for a bombshell, though.
 This is a first for us.  I really don't want to make a habit of it, but then again...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 19:02:30 »
i changed water like every 3 months...never crashed never had a single problem...i think water changes just cost money and time....sure if you have issues or your tnak is young, change the water...otherwise leave it alone
  Yeah I remember you doing that. Maybe I'll try to go a bit longer and see what happens. Randy just told me it's been 5 weeks!  It sure would save some $$$!!!

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 19:05:16 »
if you change your water so often why do you need a good skimmer?  i had a only an ok skimmer and never changed water...

good skimmer should require alot less changes...over time long periods minerials and addatives (calcium mainly) might be needed since they wont be coming from the constantly changed salt.  but the skimmer and bacteria should remove what your water changes are removing.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 19:06:03 »
I would not worry about the SPS changing colors. You can have the same piece change colors from tank to tank, which is normal. For the most part, the color depends on several factors, such as having near zero nitrate and phosphate readings, high alk and calcium levels, intense light and lots of circulation. Stability is also important....no constant changes, etc.

I do water changes every two weeks.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 19:10:07 »
My SPS have never looked this good.  They change color, right to brown!  They are actually changing to "good" color for once!  I need to do some testing.  We also haven't changed the phosban in 5 weeks.  If I have 0 Posphates I'll really be excited!  Nitrates haven't been a problem for me.  CA reactor is taking care of my CA.  I have MH lighting so I'm good there.  I also haven't pruned my macro it's PACKED in there. I've also been adding more phyto lately.  I guess I'm doing something right?!?

Aquavista, I'm not worried about the SPS changing color, just EXCITED!  LOL

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 19:11:14 »
if you change your water so often why do you need a good skimmer?  i had a only an ok skimmer and never changed water...

good skimmer should require alot less changes...over time long periods minerials and addatives (calcium mainly) might be needed since they wont be coming from the constantly changed salt.  but the skimmer and bacteria should remove what your water changes are removing.
  That is an interesting point. I do have a good skimmer, so I should be covered there too.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 19:36:37 »
I used the same technique as Matt.  I did it whenever I got around to it.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 21:29:19 »
My SPS have never looked this good.  They change color, right to brown!  They are actually changing to "good" color for once!  I need to do some testing.  We also haven't changed the phosban in 5 weeks.  If I have 0 Posphates I'll really be excited!  Nitrates haven't been a problem for me.  CA reactor is taking care of my CA.  I have MH lighting so I'm good there.  I also haven't pruned my macro it's PACKED in there. I've also been adding more phyto lately.  I guess I'm doing something right?!?

Maybe now is the time to add more SPS :) I am excited for you as well!!!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 21:30:41 »

Maybe now is the time to add more SPS :) I am excited for you as well!!!!

Thanks!  I don't ahve any plans to add more right now.  But I will certainly enjoy what I am seeing while it lasts! :)

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 22:42:46 »
i dont know why everyone fights my proven method of do nothing....travis did it, i did it...our tanks blew up in short amounts of time...especially travis'

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 23:12:56 »
water changes are necessary for a healthy tank because fish/corals take out necessary elements from the water and fish/coral release growth stunting  stuff in a system. water changes are used to replenish the things that cant be taken out or put back in.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 09:14:27 »
additives do the same thing, and as long as your tnak is overstocked it takes a while for those things to come out.

Offline verper

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 11:47:50 »
Your tank is a isolated, contained environment.  If you let the bad things build up without exporting them eventually it will get to the point of coral loss or a system crash.  I have firsthand knowledge of this from seeing all of my mushrooms melt away and LPS detach from the stoney bases from too much phosphate build up.

Missing one water change is no biggie.  My guess is the SPS is changing color from the added phyto.  More phyto = more pods = more food for the SPS.  More microscopic pods is always good.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 16:33:17 »
I think you are probably correct Scott.  I doub't wo make it a habit of 5 weeks every time, but I would like to try 3 weeks between changes. 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 19:48:06 »
The longest I ever went was 17 weeks...could've been longer too but I was bored the day that I actually did one.  The thing with me was I never did 'small' water changes.  When I did them I usually changed out about 25 gallons on my 75.  I estimate that I had like 60 gallons of total water though.  To be completely honest...I think with all the technology on our tanks, some of you guys change them too much and don't ever really let the water settle in.  That's just an opinion though.

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 02:33:13 »
I've also read there is a following of people that never do water changes. They beleive the longer the water ages the better it becomes.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 07:06:16 »
I've also read there is a following of people that never do water changes. They beleive the longer the water ages the better it becomes.
  Yep, I've heard that s well.  That's the problem with this hobby.   There are so many different views and ideas.  What seems to work for one doesn't mean it will work for everyone.    I guess we just have to see what works for us and go with it. It's just hard to find exactly what is right for each of us. :)   

bigfalcon36

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 09:16:43 »
    I guess we just have to see what works for us and go with it.   

I agree Micki

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 09:55:36 »
dont be paranoid...save the planet dont waist water

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 11:00:48 »
dont be paranoid...save the planet dont waist water
  LOL...

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 14:09:10 »
 Does anyone have any links to authoritative articles or sources that suggest not doing water changes for saltwater reef aquariums is a good idea?

During my freshwater days, I raised discus. The one thing I hated about keeping discus is doing massive weekly and sometimes daily water changes, especially when the discus would breed.

I don't  mind doing water changes every other week for my SPS aquariums. I suppose even if you did not do frequent water changes at all,  you would still get some benefits from adding top off water daily to replace the evaporated saltwater. I have to replace about 2 gallons of  top off water  every day for each aquarium.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 14:26:07 »
there are many articles....all conflicting because basically the data doesnt prove anything one way or another.  see reefcenteral this arguement rages daily there. 

Its more about what really works for you.  if your system is stable and you have sufficiant skimming, and autotopoff system and good flow, to me water changes are plenty when done every 6-8 weeks.  for me i could go even longer.  but i had a DSB (5 inches) that was well bacterialized and double the weight of LR to gallons of water (at least)  i could go for months with a water change.  when i did to a change the water would have a little green tint to it.  thats good tasties for corals.  my water was NEVER cloudy and crystal clear.

if you do water changes your removing all the planton and micro algea in the water that your inverts (like featherdusters) and corals feast on.  To me your starving them...unless your buying food to add in then your paying for food and for salt to do water changes....  does that make any sense?

I always hate getting into this discussion because most reef hobbiest are die hard water changers because thats how its always been..even though technology has obviously caught up to our tanks.  People are set in theirs ways and to paranoid to try it. 

Young tanks do need alot of attention but if your system is well planned and over a year old i dont see the need in it.