2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: what kind of sps to avoid high temp  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
what kind of sps to avoid high temp
« on: May 08, 2006, 20:49:41 »
my tank is hovering around 81 with all my lights on. :-\ what type of sps does this limit me to(keeping everything colorful and healthy)  im sure acros are out of the question but will it impede growth or coloration of monti's and other non acros?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: what kind of sps to avoid high temp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 21:43:12 »
I've heard of some having higher temps with no problem on any SPS.  If I remember correct, Melev on RC has temps higher than that and he has ANY kind of SPS imaginable in his tank. 

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 22:27:27 »
my tanks have hit 83 with sps in them.  I would like it lower but no exhaust fan yet.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 22:56:10 »
actually it only got up to 80.2(didnt have the temp probe in an area of flow. and i reassured myself of that reading with a non-digital therm. ive got an acro in another system that i will give a try.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 00:22:49 »
my tank is hovering around 81 with all my lights on. :-\ what type of sps does this limit me to(keeping everything colorful and healthy)  im sure acros are out of the question but will it impede growth or coloration of monti's and other non acros?

You should be okay. Most SPS corals grow in very shallow water where the sun is super bright and the water is warm. Most reefs hit temperatures in the low to mid 80s throughout most tropical regions, including Hawaii and Fiji. Both of my systems go from 79 degrees in the morning up to 82 degrees in the evening with the halides at full blast. Keep in mind the same fluctuations occur in nature (i.e., when the sun goes down, the water temperature drops). I know others who keep very successful SPS reefs with temperatures around 84 degrees. The average temperature for most coral reefs is 82 degrees. The extremes vary from as cold as 61 degrees to as warm as 86 degrees and sometimes higher (i.e., the Caribbean in the summer months hovers around 90 degrees). corals may bleach if the water temperature exceeds 90 degrees.

Recent trends favor maintaining somewhat more natural reef temperatures of 80 to 84 degrees.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 00:40:39 by aquavista99 »

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 22:15:46 »

I've got pictures of colonies of Acros and pocilo's that are completely out of the water at low tide in Fiji for hours in the direct sun!!!!! Have been that way for years.

I think low 80 degree water would be fine.