2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Red Slime  (Read 2191 times)

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
Red Slime
« on: October 23, 2011, 20:49:29 »
I am starting to get some red slime and the bottom and on some live rocks...  is this bad?  I should get my fuge here this week and will get that setup.
- deejay

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Red Slime
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 21:12:33 »
I'm tagging along, I have some too
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Red Slime
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 21:34:16 »
It is a fairly common thing with new tanks. If it doesn't get out of hand should be fine and go away in time.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 21:35:03 »
Probably cyano.  What is your nitrates and phosphate?

Best thing you can do is suck it out, and find what is causing it.   Increasing flow in the tank can help too.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35:16 »
Probably cyano.  What is your nitrates and phosphate?

Best thing you can do is suck it out, and find what is causing it.   Increasing flow in the tank can help too.

Cant get any better advice +1
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 20:01:51 »
The weird thing I just noticed is that is all in front and none in the back..  After sitting and looking at my tank I realized that a lot of the flow was aimed towards the back and nothing was flowing in front.  I now have one flowing to the back and one to the front.  I think I am leaving my light on too long as well, so I have to count on my sister to turn it off for me.

on a side note.  I'm finally picking up a halide light system Tuesday.  My waving hand anthelia has a ton of new heads growing...  I can't believe how much they've grown since I first got them.  I think I'd rather it be xenia though..  I do have a few mushrooms and star polyp that the guy at the LFS gave to me for free.  He always throws a bunch of small stuff in when I buy coral or fish.  My powder brown tang is 100x's better than what he did at the pet store and is so beautiful.  I can't wait to get a much bigger tank set up. 
- deejay

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:22:36 »
Stop by the shop and get some Boyds Chemi Clean. Best red slime remover on the market and very easy to use.
John

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:50:57 »
get a timer so that you dont have to rely on someone else to do things. plus then its more consistent and you can get them for about 15 bucks at lowes.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 10:11:36 »
i have noticed some in mine since the weather changed and i was opening windows instead of the air......

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 17:18:21 »
I'm going to pick up a timer tomorrow.  I came home at 4pm to my tanks lights not on.. GRRRRRRRR
- deejay