2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Got worms? are they bad?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Viggen

Got worms? are they bad?
« on: September 24, 2012, 21:56:02 »
Looking at my tank this evening I saw a worm sticking it's body out on a rock...... he came out 3 or so inches and I didn't see his entire body... maybe 1/8-1/16th of a in wide

Then at the bottom of the tank a much larger work came out... probably close to 1/4 in wide..... I saw 5 inches of his body & he just kept coming.....

I know the pic is poor.... but can you tell me if I should yank these guys... somehow .... or if they are OK?

It's a FOWLR tank

kinda hard to see them.... but they are in there
300g tub o fish

Offline larrynews

Re: Got worms? are they bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 21:58:43 »
bristle worm, they are fine unless they over run your tank

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 22:00:20 »
feed the tank less and that should control them.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 22:02:21 »
Due  only having a pr of maroon clowns in there now.... not much food to be had. 

But later this week 2 triggers, a angel, 6 tangs will be added

so should I yank them before they become a problem?  Or move them to the sump?  Would triggers eat them?
300g tub o fish

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 22:07:06 »
Due  only having a pr of maroon clowns in there now.... not much food to be had. 

But later this week 2 triggers, a angel, 6 tangs will be added

so should I yank them before they become a problem?  Or move them to the sump?  Would triggers eat them?

I was thinking the same about the triggers.
Chromiumlux

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 22:15:58 »
Hopefully later this week my triggers will be added, sargassum is 4-5in & the hawiian/black durgeon is 8 ish inches..... both whimpy fish but might be up for the challenge....

Thanks for the info....
300g tub o fish

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 22:18:34 »
Hopefully later this week my triggers will be added, sargassum is 4-5in & the hawiian/black durgeon is 8 ish inches..... both whimpy fish but might be up for the challenge....

Thanks for the info....

There are some wrasses that will eat them if I am correct. Would need to research it.
Chromiumlux

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 22:35:41 »
My 55 had them really bad..  when the tank crashed they all floated to the top..  it was one huge mess......  I never realized how bad they were until then either.
- deejay

Offline hscoert

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 01:28:01 »
Looking at my tank this evening I saw a worm sticking it's body out on a rock...... he came out 3 or so inches and I didn't see his entire body... maybe 1/8-1/16th of a in wide

Then at the bottom of the tank a much larger work came out... probably close to 1/4 in wide..... I saw 5 inches of his body & he just kept coming.....

I know the pic is poor.... but can you tell me if I should yank these guys... somehow .... or if they are OK?

It's a FOWLR tank

kinda hard to see them.... but they are in there
Definately looks like a bristle worm (AKA fire worm).  Its very rare to see a tank with out them.  I personally don't worry about it.  They are great scavengers!  I would just keep an eye on them for now.  If you are still concerned, then you can try to catch  them.  There are several products out there to help catch some of them.
I would lsuggest possible doing some more reasearch on this issue.  The members of this club have always been extremely helpful and give great advice!
Please keep us posted!

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 02:10:07 »
Coral banded shrimp will definately eat them, but the triggers would eat the shrimp. There are several different pseudochromis and dottybacks that will eat them also. Can't really see any harm in a fish only tank.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:02 »
My experience with them is filled with HATRED. They over ran my tank and I got stung more times than I care to remember. I had the shrimp and the dotty back and the 'traps' and wrasses and psydos and I was still over run with them. Everytime I get a chance to pick any out of tank I do so. But remember to were gloves! >:(

Mine are not gone yet but better, and my fish are starving for it. Fish dont get fed as often or as much.  :not:

Good luck!!!

Ray
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 21:21:15 »
They can/will also get in clams and eat them, and other things too!
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!