2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: best place to find cheap flights  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
best place to find cheap flights
« on: October 26, 2010, 21:11:11 »
Looking to travel from Dayton to Miami Florida Feb 14 2011 and return Feb 18 2011.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Re: best place to find cheap flights
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 21:12:56 »
One thing my mom has found out is that flying out of Cincinatti is usually cheaper than flying out of Dayton.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 21:47:31 »
One thing my mom has found out is that flying out of Cincinatti is usually cheaper than flying out of Dayton.

I have NEVER found cinci cheaper! lol its usually $50 or so more for me.  But i guess it could be on some city pairs.

I fly alot, and usually check the normal expedia, travolicity, and each air carriers homepage (be surprised sometimes it actually the cheapest buy directly from them)

Another cool thing is Bing.com's flight search.  It will map the price for the last month or so (flights maybe up to $100 cheaper randomly depending on day of week booked).  Bing will suggest if the price is rising or falling and whether to wait or buy now.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 21:56:58 »
I agree that Cinci is never cheaper and I fly out of Dayton every week.  I have had luck dealing direct with the airlines. Prob Airtran would be the best.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 22:13:50 »
also orbits...... but true many times its cheaper to go through the airlines itself

if you do not mind driving also check out Indianapolis & also Columbus, sometimes one is cheaper then the other but you have to factor in parking & travel time

300g tub o fish

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:28:56 »
Mom is usually flying into Denver so it may well be dependent on which airport you're flying into. If I remember right she was flying non-stop at the time.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:43:10 »
I fly to Florida every year and Cincy has never been cheaper for me either.  Sounds like it must be location based. 

Offline sticks_wife

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 08:09:20 »
I agree with checking airtran. They usually have better rates, and alot of times they will offer a free flight round trip ticket if they overbook and you are willing to wait for the next flight. Last time my sister used them, she got like 2 or 3 free tickets.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:11:11 »
non stop flights out of cincy r sometimes cheaper
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:02:57 »
An awesome site to search for plane tickets (and hotels) all at once is www.sidestep.com .  I've always found my tickets through them.  One thing to check would be Southwest out of Columbus to at least Orlando (not sure if they go to Miami) and possibly renting a car?  But Southwest usually has some pretty sweet online price.
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:25:02 »
I actually read somewhere that cincy is one of the most expensive airports to fly out of in the country
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:30:02 »
do not fly out with usairlines.. i just went to anna maria island back in sept, tamp to char and then char to day..
weather delayed us for 1 hour in tampa, then mechanical failure, lack of communication for over 3 hours (which could have taken a flight after ours but they never offered one to us till it was too late) and we ended up getting stuck another night, beacuse our connecting flight wouldnt have waited for us.. long story short wife lost her job because she was not able to make it to work on time saturday morning. and i have been fighting with them for over a month , and all there willing to give is a voucher for 75.00 for the miss hap, which i told them to shove up there ass and ill fly airtran from now on because i spent 600 dollars on my full flights, and all i was asking is a set of tickes one way to any destination to gain my respect with there company but them seem to not care....

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 11:30:58 »
well by just searching it appears that Dayton is cheaper than cincy.  I have not checked any other airport.  I am looking to be down in Miami early after-noon so we can board the boat before it leaves  :D 

So it sounds like I just need to search around the net for deals.... and thanks to everyone with various website ideas.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 11:33:55 »
Kayak.com

It will actually check all the airlines + all the different sites (orbit, travelocity, etc). It will also search flights where you maybe start in Dayton, but return to Cincy if you have someone available to give you a ride/pick you up.

Joe

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 12:09:03 »
I second kayak.com.  Good stuff.
Rob