2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Acro's  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
Acro's
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:29 »
I have a 180 gallon with mostly SPS corals. It has 3- 250W 15k Metal Halides and 8 blue t5's I just replaced the bulbs about 2 weeks ago. But I have noticed and this isnt the first time that the arcos flesh will start peeling off. Then in like 3 days it will be white and dead.  :'(  it hasnt happen for about 4 months but just yesterday I notice one of the arco's started doing it. Then one I just got Thursday is peeling. Im rly bad about just bring them home and floating them for like 30mins then just puting them in after I put them in coral Rx. Im not sure why this is happening but if anyone has idea please give me some input.
Parameters last I checked like last week-  Ca-400 Mag- 1275 Total Alk-3 and the salt level is usally right at 1.025. I know the mag and Ca are a little low and Iv been working on getting them up then planning on dosing Kalc. or adding a Ca reactor.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: Acro's
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:59:32 »
Going from old bulbs (dimmer or different color temp) to new bulbs (brighter or different color temp) can be a factor.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:37 »
I am going  to guess it is due to you low alk. What is chances it is dipping lower than three at times.

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:13:25 »
Well whats alk need to be? Someone keeps telling me (Total Alk-3.5)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 13:24:41 »
There is a tremendous difference from 3.0 - 3.5.
3.0 is close to 8dkh and 3.5 is close to 10 dkh. A dkh of 8.0 to 12.0 is typically okay. Not saying it can fluctuate in that range, it needs to stay consistent. The most common loss of sps is due to low alk. I am thinking that if you are running on the low end of the spectrum then it is possible with a margin error and flucations occurring in a 24 hour cycle that it is possibly dipping to low. Also recommend getting the coral that is rtn/stn out of the tank immediately or frag off the good portion. This is because it is likely putting chemical signals in the water that has the potential of causing a chain reaction. Consider bringing your alk up to 3.5 meq/l slowly if not already. Also consider using dkh scale instead of meq/l because it gives a false since of being close to the target range.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 13:27:04 »
Thanks, Lazy.  I was going to reference alk level this morning but was unfamiliar with the alk scale that Fishfreak is using.  I know my corals are loving the 1Dkh.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 13:27:36 »
Make that 11 Dkh, NOT 1!

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:37:13 »
thanks guys!

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:06 »
Would a Ca. reactor help with keeping that level? Or would that only help with Ca and mag?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:20:17 »
Yes a calcium reactor has the ability to keep the three major and many of the minor elements in the optimal range.