2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: coral help  (Read 2783 times)

Offline larrynews

coral help
« on: April 01, 2009, 13:55:06 »
so i did a stupid thing, i bought the green acapora from joels store and it was doing great, i have had it a few weeks it was doing great, then the stupid thing, one night i saw crab living in it and i couldnt tell what type it was so i took some sissors and killed but in the process scraped the coral now all of the tissue is disapearing,turning white, should i move it to the bottom of the tank so it is not getting as much light (120g with 400w mh"s )or leave it where it WAS going well, i am an idiot i know.
thanks

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
Re: coral help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 14:20:22 »
My suggestion might be to RE-Frag it so that no bleached parts of the coral are on the new frag. My experience has been that when it starts to bleach, it will keep going til the whole thing is dead. by re fragging it, at least you are saving a healthy piece that has not been affected by the bleaching.  Please note this is what I would do from my experiences. I know others on here are much more experienced with SPS and may have better suggestions for you, so feel free to disagree with what I'm suggesting.  my two cents.
Inspired!!!

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 14:27:32 »
was it an acropora crab?

Offline larrynews

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 14:30:59 »
well crap yes it was, i had no ida there was such a thing. after looking it up on google that is what is was...poop!!!!!!  another example of not ever know everything about this hobby

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 17:16:51 »
If it is rapidly losing tissue, then yes, it is probably best to frag it so you stand a chance of not losing the whole thing.  You can also try putting cyanoacrylate glue gel on just the damaged spot to help the tissue to not rip further (the military developed super glue for that purpose, but on humans...not corals.)

If it just lost tissue in that one spot, keep an eye on it.  It should be able to heal itself. 

It makes me suspicious that slightly damaging the coral is causing it to RTN.  Usually there's a second stressor.  What are your chemicals testing at?

Offline larrynews

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 19:41:57 »
ok  i just tested and the alk is through the roof not sure why , i havent done anything different. i guess i'll do water change tomorrow and see what happens...