2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Which controller?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Viggen

Which controller?
« on: November 12, 2012, 15:40:26 »
Looking at picking up a controller soon possibly this week, any suggestions on which one I solid get? 

300g tub o fish

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Which controller?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 15:53:40 »
IMHO, The Neptune Apex is the only way to go.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 15:57:55 »
I love my Reef Angel.....open source, built on a arduino base, which speaks volumes about customization.  They have a newer version which has more memory.....for those that like to customize everything.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 16:10:20 »
One more vote for apex.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 16:40:21 »
 what all you wanting to control with it ? are you wanting internet acess ?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 16:45:03 »
Not totally sure actually

Yes I think Internet access would be nice
Ph/orp - plan on running ozone
Mp60 pumps controlling

Not sure what else I should have it controll
300g tub o fish

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 19:16:29 »
 my vote is Apex. i have no experience with the proflux (i think thats right name) or the Reef angel. there is quite the discussion on RC on them. Neptune seems to get GREAT feedback for customer service. plus all depends on what your wanting to spend. what you want to control will determine the "extra's" you will need.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:30:25 »
Can anyone tell me the difference between the jr lite and standard apex?  Didint know which one I should snag

I plan on running ozone.... purchased a used setup just need to head north to snag it some day

I would like PH, temp monitoring and I see it can control my MP60's which would be nice.... turn then to low at nigh

anything else I should consider
300g tub o fish

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:12:38 »
There are 3 versions
JR
Lite
Full

The JR is very stripped down and also very limited in Expansion.  5 modules max.    Unless you only want a very basic setup, I would shy away from this one.   Also I think you have to add the PM1 module to the JR to get ORP monitoring.     Neptune just updated their website, and the nice comparison chart is missing,  I'll see if I can get them to put the link back up.

The difference between the Apex Lite and the Full Apex is the 4 variable voltage outputs for Tunze or Dimming LED's.

For the vortech, you need the WXM module.........

Unless you want to do LED dimming via a 0-10volt signal, I would recommend the APEX Lite system for you.   You can always add this function later if you decide to add.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:57 »
Found it in the manual, here it is.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:29 »
Thanks! That helps a lot!

So the apex lite doesn't do ph and ph/orp, only ph vs the apex for $60 more does both of those and everything else is the same.....

I see lab grade, standard etc on the probes, is it worth the extra money to get lab grade?

This stuff is totally new to me..... Don't want to buy the wrong stuff :)
300g tub o fish

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:55:08 »
You are correct.  I missed that in my difference.

The 1st port is always PH, the 2nd port on the full apex and ports on the PM1 expansion module are pH/ORP selectable.

I'm not a big fan of the neptune standard probes.  I've never tried their lab grade probes.    The pinpoint probes do well, I used those and the Hanna probes.   Jeremy at Premium likes the Sybon ph probe.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 12:26:54 »
Cool...  I will do a bit more research before I take the plunge hopefully next week.  Just ordered a Milwaukee salinity tester from premium.......
300g tub o fish

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 19:12:28 »
apex
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...