2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bioballs or live rock in a sump?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Bioballs or live rock in a sump?
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:38:52 »
Hello, setting up my sump (oceanic 30 gal sump) I planing on putting live sand in the refugum portion but I was wondering if I should run bio balls or live rock pieces in the 'filter' section.....

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: Bioballs or live rock in a sump?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:02:37 »
Reef or Fish only?

I would say youre ganna want to get rid of those bioballs if its reef.  They will collect crap, and Im sure lots of people have had the nitrate factory thing. 
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:05:07 »
Reef

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:11:44 »
Yea live rock sounds like the way to go.  Are you going to be running a filter sock? I have seen sockless sumps that have bad collections of crap that has settled in some of the baffels.  If you wont have enough flow through the sump to keep it supspended, Id put a sock on it.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:18:38 »
ya I am not sure about flow yet... I have a mag 5 pump on it but I was reading I could put a mag seven impeller on it and increase the flow? It only has one set of baffels its a oceanic sump. Also not sure what kinda of lighting to put down there or to run the pump in the sump or out (it can be done both ways on my sump).. Was going too look and see if anyone had some pics of one similar to mine set up.\

By using live rock is it going to need any certain kind of light I wonder.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:24:31 »
I wouldnt run a mag5 outside, seen plenty that leaked when used external.  There are a few other threads on the site about fuge lighting. A 23w 6500k CFL floodlight with built in reflector is simple and i get great growth.  let me find the thread

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:48:03 »
definantly no bio balls if it's a reef

my FO tanks I use lots of bio-balls
300g tub o fish

ReefGurl

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 12:04:52 »
ya I am not sure about flow yet... I have a mag 5 pump on it but I was reading I could put a mag seven impeller on it and increase the flow? It only has one set of baffels its a oceanic sump. Also not sure what kinda of lighting to put down there or to run the pump in the sump or out (it can be done both ways on my sump).. Was going too look and see if anyone had some pics of one similar to mine set up.\

By using live rock is it going to need any certain kind of light I wonder.

Not for the rock, your asking for algae growth. If you have chaeto or some other macro algae in a fuge then its a good idea. I have about 80lbs of live rock in my sump.

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 12:09:21 »
I've herd of many people using the cheato...wanted to try it and see how it does..any light work?

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 12:13:02 »
I dont want to hi-jack but why not just run Live rock even if it is a fish only tank, whats the plus of running bio balls?
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:17:07 »
Good question....I. was wondering that too

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 12:31:42 »
i just switched from bio balls to cheato and live rock. bio balls have to be cleaned or they become a bacteria problem after 6 months or so. bio balls are more of hassle than they are beneficial. Just remember all the comments are just opinions.
 :D Garry Wolfe
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 12:38:49 »
I dont want to hi-jack but why not just run Live rock even if it is a fish only tank, whats the plus of running bio balls?

They are VERY efficient at what they do.  designed for max surface area and O2.  They take crap and turn it into Nitrates.  which is great in a  low light FO tank, but in a Reef algae will tend to take off.  Filter sock for example will catch the same crap but not break it down nearly as quickly.  If you swap them out fast enough, you are exporting stuff that never was converted to nitrates.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:46:29 »
I've herd of many people using the cheato...wanted to try it and see how it does..any light work?

Heres that link: http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=6940.0 doesnt have to be that one, but any of the CFL floodlights thats 23W range and 6500k "daylight"

I just use a $2 walmart daylight CLF in a clipon shop reflector.  GReat growth on my Macro

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 13:16:46 »
how does the light affect the ph?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 13:38:59 »
how does the light affect the ph?

If you put the fuge light cycle opposite from the DT, it will lower the pH swing at night due to photosynthesis and cellular respiration

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 14:43:41 »
...it will lower the pH swing at night due to photosynthesis and cellular respiration

He blinded me with science!

WITH SCIENCE!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 15:05:26 »
Then why use filter socks? wont they collect more nitrates? also the same with live rock?

so sand, macro algae, live rock and a light and im golden?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 15:40:52 »
Then why use filter socks? wont they collect more nitrates? also the same with live rock?

the filter sock will collect the stuff that will BECOME nitrates. If you swap out your socks every few days you will get rid of the stuff BEFORE it is broken down to nitrates

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 17:14:01 »
be sure that there is plenty of flow in the areas in your sump that are hold the live rock, detritus that collects in the rocks corners can be an alk sink. when i tore down my 37 i had a ton of rubble in my sump with almost all the flow moving over the rock instead of through and the detritus in everything was unreal.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 17:16:18 »
be sure that there is plenty of flow in the areas in your sump that are hold the live rock, detritus that collects in the rocks corners can be an alk sink. when i tore down my 37 i had a ton of rubble in my sump with almost all the flow moving over the rock instead of through and the detritus in everything was unreal.

Same thing here, thats when i decided to start running a sock  :laugh:

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 17:18:38 »
My sump has a black plastic container that is there to hold live rock, and the intake from the tank is two pipes that flow from the top down onto the rock... would 2-3 inches work of sand?

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 18:21:06 »
4+ for nitrification if i remember correctly