2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: bulkhead help, AAAGGGHHHH  (Read 1680 times)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
bulkhead help, AAAGGGHHHH
« on: December 10, 2010, 22:17:34 »
I was going to do a water test today on my new tank but realized the bulkheads were in need of being replaced.

The holes I believe are 1 1/2 inch holes in diameter.  Does that mean that I need to get a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead?

Also what are your recommendations: should I get both sides threaded or both slip or one slip and one threaded (AAAGGGHHHHHH).

Last question, the man I bought the setup from had siliconed the bulkheads in place.  BUT I read on RC that this was a bad idea.  Is it?  What should I do?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline HUNGER

Re: bulkhead help, AAAGGGHHHH
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 22:19:42 »
dont know on the siz but def clean off ALL the silicone off make sure its all gone
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 22:27:25 »
Absolutely!  I'm not looking forward that part of having a 30" tall tank.  And if I recall my arms are alot shorter than yours Hunger!  ;D
Thanks and God Bless,
John

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 22:29:28 »
1.5" hole is for a 1" bulk head. Replace all the bulkheads because if you done one of them will crack or leak when you try to reuse it. Only use silicone in a last resort effort to make it stop leaking. You will need to get in there and scrape all the old silicone off or the new bulkheads will not seal.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 22:33:16 »
Thanks.  That's what I thought it was going to be 1".  What about the slip vs threaded idea.

Ok one more question does the 1" bulkhead rated for about 600gph?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 22:37:05 »
Thanks.  That's what I thought it was going to be 1".  What about the slip vs threaded idea.

Ok one more question does the 1" bulkhead rated for about 600gph?

I use threaded in case I need to remove the plumbing. 1" should handle 600gph with out to much noise. It will handle More but the more water you push through the louder the drain can become, not always just depends on the type of stand pipe you are using.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 23:28:16 »
Thread or slip just personal preference, I used slip on my tank.  If I need to redo the plumbing, I just have to buy a new bulkhead vs using the one that's already there. 
300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 03:14:17 »
i use thread by slip
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 10:01:29 »
This doesn't anwser all your questions but approriate to the discussion and good read if you are getting ready to replace your bulkhead http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8233.msg71165#msg71165

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 14:59:01 »
I found this site is there do these look ok?
It sounds like if I do threaded both sides than I can change my plumbing easier if need be (hopefully not but who knows).
Is there any reason to be hesitant about the bottom end being threaded versus slip (leakage?)?

Thanks Lazy for the post!!!
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 18:14:49 »
Inside slip outside threaded.   It may be easier to use slip on the inside of the tank side. Typically no need to glue inside fitting if you need one. Maybe easier if adhoc adjustments are needed.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 19:01:35 »
It may be easier to use slip on the inside of the tank side. Typically no need to glue inside fitting if you need one. Maybe easier if adhoc adjustments are needed.
it is i had threaded in my overflow but when i need to fix something it was had to brake the threads lose
SIZE DOES MATTER