2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Herbie Drain vs. Bean Animal Drain  (Read 2004 times)

Offline chromiumlux

Herbie Drain vs. Bean Animal Drain
« on: March 18, 2014, 21:36:32 »
Anybody here using these full siphon methods? If so, please elaborate on them and share your experience.
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Herbie Drain vs. Bean Animal Drain
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 21:46:11 »
I use it. Dead quiet...won't ever do it any other way. Eliminates salt creep as well

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 21:48:49 »
I use it. Dead quiet...won't ever do it any other way. Eliminates salt creep as well

Which one are you using Lazy?
Chromiumlux

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 22:18:54 »
What? Lol sorry this all sounds foreign to me. My water goes in the pipes on one end and out the other.  :-\

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 23:17:43 »
This is the one I am running. It has been in place for almost four years and has been trouble free. The only difference is the valve is where it enters sump opposed to being up where the water exits the display tank. Originally had it at display tank but it didn't work there; not enough head pressure. In the video the way it is setup doesn't actually work. It is impossible to match the pumps flow exactly with the valve. Pumps change the amount of amperage it pulls throughout the day. Due to this the emergency drain needs to be within 1/4" higher of the full siphon drain. That is so you can just match the flow of pump close and whatever doesn't go down full siphon trickles over the emergency drain and as flow changes throughout the day it doesn't matter.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 23:59:55 »
I have set up my systems just as Brian has described, I have not had an issue. I too also set the valves down at the sump as opposed to up at the dt.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:49:31 »
I am using the bean-animal overflow from my refugium to my display tank.  The siphon and open drains go to the display, the emergency overflow goes to my sump.  During my freshwater test of the system the bean-animal system is quiet and once the siphon was established I saw no bubbles entering the main tank from the two drains that go to it.

I do have issues getting my siphon line to start.  I think that because the refugium tank is only around 8 inches higher than the display tank, I may just lack head pressure to dislodge air and get the water flowing into that pipe initially.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 13:38:32 »
I just modified a Herbie setup to the bean and is working great and dead quiet.  I have the valve right at the display, but needed about 5" between the syphon and the open drain for it to work right at restart (i.e., powerloss) without having to readjust.