2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Foam Rock Wall  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: Foam Rock Wall
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 21:55:09 »
HAHA. Guess its time to HiJack this thread, sorry Justin. I take back all the semi-nice things I said about you Joel.

I stand by the things I have said about you ;D

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 22:53:57 »
The rock wall looks really nice, Justin.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 09:07:29 »
thanks I plan on adding a cave i think
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 09:10:01 »
if you spray the foam drop in the rocks and then sprinkle it with sand before it dries the sand will stick to the foam

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 20:59:38 »
so any updates? 

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 22:08:47 »
yeah here is an update its negative a million degrees in my garage and I'm way to warm indoors to go finish it outdoors lol. I may try and finish it over break now that I have a little more time from school. I will keep you posted.

slandis3

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 07:34:37 »
yeah here is an update its negative a million degrees in my garage and I'm way to warm indoors to go finish it outdoors lol. I may try and finish it over break now that I have a little more time from school. I will keep you posted.
:crybaby   I was out in my garage working yesterday. Sounds like someone is getting lazy    :flame

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 08:54:00 »
We are planning a similar project, as I want an overhang in the tank approx. 12" into the tank from the side wall and approx. 3" below the water line.  We work with polyurethane foam at work all of the time when making automotive parts, and the adhesion properties of this stuff is great.  I've considered useing my tile saw and cut the rock flat, apply the white insulating foam from the can you can get at walmart (same stuff, isocyanate and polyol) to the flat rocks, and glue them directly to the glass.  Eggcrate might be nice for some things, but in my experience with eggcrate in the industrial world, it's not UV-stable, and can get brittle over time when exposed to UV light.  Again, I'm not experienced in the reef world, so I freely admit that I may be talking out my arse when speaking about the applications of eggcrate in a reef tank.  I'm using schedule 80 pvc in my tank where I need a framework.  Project you're working on looks good, though.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Bigmoo

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 20:44:50 »
So about those pics...

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 21:32:25 »
the most recent pics are up there moo you should and mike should come over and finish it

slandis3

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 21:37:05 »
the most recent pics are up there moo you should and mike should come over and finish it

boy your just a regular Comedian tonight.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 20:15:04 »
These pics are dedicated to Mike and Dave thanks for being a pain in my a$$ lol.

Only one more panel to go, I will tell my teachers tomorrow that I dont have my homework done because of you two.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2009, 20:19:42 »
nice its getting there.  now for the epoxy and sand

slandis3

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 23:22:01 »
you should skip school and finish it ;D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 07:40:07 »
man so tempting but i better not lol

Bigmoo

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 17:48:01 »
Hey, school will be there when you get to it, no hurry. Now the tank... That is pressing. Oh and thanks for the updates, if it wasn't for Mike and I hounding you it would never be as far as it is. Come to think of it, you should thank us ;D