2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Time for new lighting  (Read 3046 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Time for new lighting
« on: February 11, 2010, 18:07:08 »
Right now I have a 70 watt MH 14K over my 29 gallon display tank.  I love the ripple effect in the water.  I am looking at adding some T-5 supplemental lighting, and possibly upgrading to a 150 watt MH.  In addition, I want to add some LED moonlighting.  I want to go the DIY route, because I think that's more fun that buying a lighting system prepackaged, and I haven't really found what I want out there on the market, anyway.

Since the tank is only 30" long, I will probably use 24" T-5s (VHO if feasible), since they are more readily available than 30" bulbs.  I envision a single MH in the middle.  Moon lighting would probably be mounted on either side of the MH, and somehow rigged up to be aimed at specific features.

What I need from you, Ohio Reef-ers is some input on your favorite MH and T-5 products.  What do you like and dislike?

DIY-ers: A canopy build is in the future (probably summer once I am done with school).  Until then we need to formulate a plan, buy parts, and get to building.  I want wire stripping, wire crimping, sawing, screwing, soldering, and all that fun stuff to commence :) 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Time for new lighting
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 18:12:23 »
One 250w Radium with a good quality reflector and ballast would be my choice. I like a little bluer look then most though. I have T5's on my tank with MH's and when the t5's are on the ripple effect is greatly reduced. What kind of corals are you wanting to keep? That could change your approach a bit.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 18:16:59 »
Zoas and softies are my focus right now, but I currently have GSP, button polyps, silver tip (lazy, non-pulsing xenias), eagle eye zoanthids, and kenya tree (I think).  I also have a pink montipora frag.  It's just a hodge-podge right now to see what works.

I saw Warboz's 29g, full of zoanthids (as well as his bio-cube frag tank), and was inspired.  The T-5's would likely be VHO actinics for some added effect.  What color temp is the radium?  20K?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 18:21:43 »
I think they are 20k. They call them Radium Blue but not sure if they ever put a official spectrum brand on em. With softies I like your 150 idea with some supplement lighting if needed.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 18:26:56 »
I like the variety to be found in zoanthids, and they seem to be less temperamental than LPS and SPS.  Besides that, with a 29, I'm severely limited.  In the long run this tank's contents will be the seed for my miniature ocean.  Tank Envy, Baggerhog?  :)  We'll see.  That's right, I just called him out :)

Lost Floridian

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 20:28:56 »
before my imagination can run completely wild you've got to let me know how much real estate we're working on... so what is the footprint of the tank?

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 21:55:10 »
don't get too exited, Will.  It's a 29 gallon AGA.  It's 30" long x 12" wide x 18" high.  We must be thrifty and efficient with the space we are given :)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 16:24:35 »
silver tip (lazy, non-pulsing xenias)

If you are talking about the frag i gave you, It pulses in  my tank.  How much flow do you have on it?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 17:07:27 »
Flow, light, and temp are good.  They just fon't pulse now...  I read my water may be too clean :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 19:16:39 »
or if there in tomuch flow they wont pulse
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 20:27:33 »

Yep mine are in the corner with practicly NO flow
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 01:23:41 »

+1

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 11:28:23 »
Okay, I'll see what I can do about the flow they are in...

In the meantime, lights...  Can someone explain the pros and cons of T-12 VHOs and T-5 HOs.  From what I have heard, VHO actinics are the best.  What do you guys think?  As far as the metal halide, for my tank size, and the types of corals I plan on keeping, I think a 150 Watt DE at 14K is what I want.

Along with all the "here's the wattage and type of bulbs and color, etc." I would like to hear some recommendations on brands, too.  I am okay with retrofit, and all out DIY, so whatever ends up being the best bang for the buck.