2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Got my Wrasse, now where is it???  (Read 3946 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Got my Wrasse, now where is it???
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:38 »
On Wednesday I got a green coris wrasse from Techguy!  The coloring is BEAUTIFUL!!!  I aclimated it and put it in the tank...About 30 seconds later it darted under a rock and I haven't seen it since!  :-Cry  I removed the rock looked all through it and didn't see him in there.  I have no idea what happened to him!   :hmmmm: 

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: Got my Wrasse, now where is it???
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:57:40 »
Maybe hiding in the sand.  I have a melinaris wrasse that does this.  Patience, young Jedi...
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:16:01 »
Todd said he does hide in the sand, but wouldn't I have seen him at least once in the past two days??? 

Patience is NOT one of my strong points!     :smiley-happy112:

Offline larrynews

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:19 »
Todd said he does hide in the sand, but wouldn't I have seen him at least once in the past two days??? 

Patience is NOT one of my strong points!     :smiley-happy112:

i have one that everytime i clean the tank he hides for about 3 days, hopefully he will surface, i mean show up

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:26:54 »
Some fish just like to hide. I have a yellow watchman in my softy tank that I see 2-3 times a week it sees me and hides

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:51:17 »
When I first got my melinaris wrasse, he hid in the sand for a week.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline motley

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:38:37 »
i have a green coris that is always going in the sand.  and i thought i killed him once because i couldent find him for 3 day but did not he was just hideing.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 14:42:03 »
Thanks for the wrasse stories!  If I were a PATIENT person I wouldn't have had to even start this thread.  :)  He has been out and about today.  When I fed the tank he hid but I later saw him out again.     :-ThumbUpsm

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 17:06:52 »
What type of "green wrasse" ?

Not all green colored wrasse bury themselves or hide for days. Knowing what type you have will make it easier to determine if this is usual or unusual behavior.

Also what were the water parameters of the tank it came from versus the water parameters it went into?

Joel

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 20:40:01 »
It is a green coris wrasse.  I didn't compare the water parameters. 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 22:18:05 »
When I got him, I didn't see it for several days. He is there, in the sand, freaked out. Most wrasses take some time to acclimate. I'm sure he will be fine :)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 22:19:07 »
As far as parameters:

77-79F, PH 8.1-8.3, No nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc...

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 08:35:57 »
Sorry Micki, I new you called it a green coris wrasse, what I meant to ask was specifically what specie of fish it is.

The fish regularly (probably most often)  referred to as "green coris wrasse" is Halichoeres chloropterus, if this is what you have they tend to stress easily and will disappear for days sometimes. Being moved & likely being put into water that differs from where it came from would be pretty stressful. I don't think that it would be too odd that it hid for a few days. I don't suggest digging through the tank looking for it, just adds more stress. After a week if you've not seen it, might be a thought to look for a body.

This fish is real good at (or bad I should say) jumping out of aquariums and getting into overflow boxes & filtration systems. I have found them on the floor when I have left the lid open and I have found them in O/F boxes and filter socks / pads numerous times in the shop. Even have found them is my sumps so maybe check your system to see if it is there.

Did you put it in your reef tank? If so, as it grows it may end up eating things you don't want it to. They get at least 6" long and seem to develop a taste for small hermit crabs & snails. They will eat peppermint shrimp and even smaller skunk cleaners too not to mention putting a big dent in your mysis population. That (mysis depletion) could become a problem for your mandarin. Mine also ate all my little feather dusters & tube worms. I did have a large pair of Banded Coral Shrimp that it never ate, I think they were just to big and mean for it to mess with.

Now to make things harder,  C. venusta (males), Male Bird Wrasse (Gomphosus varius & Gomphosus caeruleus), Green Razorfish (Xyrichthys splendens) , Green Sea Dragon (Novaculichthys taeniourus)  & the Seagrass Wrasse -- Novaculichthys macrolepidotus have all been sold to me under the name green wrasse or green coris wrasse at one time or another. Probably a good idea to determine exactly what specie you have so you can better know what to expect from it.

Joel

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 08:57:59 »
Techguy, can you help me out here.  Do you know what specie it actually is?  I have seen him out and about, not a lot but I know he's in there and alive.  Joel, as for jumping.  I have 6 glass lids covering the tank.  I only open them when I'm feeding and "so far" when I open the tank he hides and I don't see him for a few hours after.  As for the over flow....Hmmm, I'll need to keep an eye on that one.  Fortunately my mandarin will eat anything I put in the tank so I think I'm ok there.  Thanks for the information.  Hopefully Techguy can give ma an exact specie name.     

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 09:00:52 »
Copy and paste the scientific names (one at a time) I listed in Google or similar, you will be able to see pictures of each one.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 09:14:09 »
Joel I believe it's a Halichoeres chloropterus.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 12:38:28 »
That was what I though was the most likley fish it would be.

Give it time and it should become pretty social but watch it as it grows, they sometimes eat stuff we don't want them to.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 13:47:24 »
Ok, thanks for the heads up!  I do seem him out a little more.  Still hides when I go by though.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 19:18:39 »
My leopard wrasse hid for two months when I first got it.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:42 »
Wow!  I bet you were shicked when you finally saw it!   :o

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 20:59:11 »
I seen it for like maybe 60 seconds at a time for the first 2 or 3 weeks but several days apart each time and Each time I figured it was dead. I looked under rocks more than once. It is a beautiful fish. Still shy but stays out most of the time now. Its the first fish to go to bed at night. Think it still buries  itself at nite.
My yellow wrasse stayed hid for awhile also. :matrix-smiley-007:

Have you seen your hider yet?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 03:09:21 »
Have you seen your hider yet?

I see him once in a while.  At least once a day, just for a few seconds at a time.  AT least it's progress!  :)

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 12:05:51 »
Sounds like my yellow coris wrasse. He is rite at home now but it took a while. I wand a green one but do not know if they would get along. I really like my yellow.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 13:27:59 »
If I can ever see mine for more than 3 seconds I'll try to get a picture!  LOL