2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How many fish to put in tank?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline wyssj

• Fry
How many fish to put in tank?
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:54:28 »
I have a 29g Biocube that is currently housing > 30 lbs LR, 40 lbs LS, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 blood shrimp, 6 hermits, pom pom crab, many many snails of 5 different types and a pair of ocellaris clowns (small, about 1.5 inches), a zoa med frag, a LTA, an unknown hard coral frag and some other unknown soft corals that came on one of the rocks.

I am wanting to get some other fish and definitely more corals but I was wondering what you all though would be a good number of fish to house in my tank?

Thanks for any input.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
Re: How many fish to put in tank?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 15:39:48 »
i think the rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon of water so 29"s someone else might have a different opinion because i have also heard that if you have a extreme filtration system you can put as many as you like.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 16:18:44 »
The amount of fish in a tank is determined by a few things, size of the aquarium. You don't want to put a fish thats gets 24" in a tank that is 30" x 12", it will have trouble urning around. The end size of the fish (max length) should be looked at. The filtration, a 400 gallon tank with a hang on the back filter wont support very many fish. You need to make sure your filtration will handle the waste load of the fish added to your system. What you have in the tank. If you have a lot of rock and/or decorations that will limit the room the fish have to swim.

I would look at fish that stay small to medium in size ( 4"-6").

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 16:52:02 »
+1

On a more serious note... if your in doubt just add a whale shark... they don't need much room at all, you may get away with doing a mated pair.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 17:04:59 »
ur crazy cody lol but i have already made arrangements to order a mating pair of whale sharks should be here in feb so ill try and have a meeting at my place around that time so you can see me acclimate them

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 17:41:19 »
so that size of than maybe 3ish
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 05:09:06 »
but no really on a more serious note just watch tanked TV is always right(JK)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 06:48:57 »
I have a 29g Biocube that is currently housing > 30 lbs LR, 40 lbs LS, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 blood shrimp, 6 hermits, pom pom crab, many many snails of 5 different types and a pair of ocellaris clowns (small, about 1.5 inches), a zoa med frag, a LTA, an unknown hard coral frag and some other unknown soft corals that came on one of the rocks.

I am wanting to get some other fish and definitely more corals but I was wondering what you all though would be a good number of fish to house in my tank?

Thanks for any input.

Maybe look at some nano fish?  You could house a few more that way.  Just a thought.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:44:12 »
but no really on a more serious note just watch tanked TV is always right(JK)
thats not even right
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 15:36:50 »
rule of thumb is 1" per 10 gallons in a reef tank.  we are about double that in our 90.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 18:54:37 »
rule of thumb is 1" per 10 gallons in a reef tank.  we are about double that in our 90.
if you have a good enough filter to handle the bio load  if not you will be doing alot of water changes
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 19:20:35 »
we're stuck doing 15 percent a week anyway...
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 20:10:48 »
heck the most i can do is 40 gallons at a time
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline reefer-oz

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 20:02:40 »
Good info already posted here.  I don't believe in general rules on this topic although some fish simply require a larger aquarium.
Other factors include frequency of water change and ability to handle bio load (lot of liverock).

Offline Ed

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 13:57:03 »
Alot depends on how many hiding spots you have and how good a filter system you have
I have had large numbers of fish I was told not to put together but I have lots of hiding and filter a turn over rate of 15 times an hour. I never have any problems