2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: purple Linckia starfish  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Travis8896

purple Linckia starfish
« on: March 12, 2013, 23:03:58 »
Does anyone have a purple Linckia starfish? If so how are they in the reef tank? Does anyone know where to buy one if there reef safe?
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: purple Linckia starfish
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:52:01 »
Micki has a blue one. She has never had a problem with it. I have not been able to keep one alive.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 15:12:53 »
Ok thanx do you know of anyplace that sells purple ones?
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 15:29:15 »
I would call Marine Solutions & let him know you are looking for one. See what he says. You could also call Gerbers. Or you could just bust out the ol' credit card and order onenow. They are in stock.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+1399&pcatid=1399

Offline volcano

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 15:30:13 »
Gerber's had a blue and a purple.  I believe the blue one had the broken arm. 

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 16:21:47 »
Ok thanx for info

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 21:13:51 »
I had a blue that I got from Joel when he was still in business  :'(   If I remember correctly he said "never" touch them with bare hands that he believed the oils on our hands was bad for them.  If I remember correctly mine lived for a year and a half or so it would have probably lasted longer had I tried harder to feed it.  I love the look of them they really catch peoples attention.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 23:23:05 »
Thanx for the tip

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 18:43:57 »
The longest I've heard of a hobbyist keeping one alive is about 36 months. Many last less than a year, average is about 18 months.

Honestly, these are probably one of the few species of starfish that should be left in the sea.

Really?  We have had ours for well over 3 years and it's as healthy as a horse.  It's about 6" in diameter plus.  Someone mentioned feeding it.  No one knows exactly what they eat.  Ours just hangs out and roams about like cattle.  Beautiful creature.  Sometimes it likes to pretend that it's a carniverous starfish and tries to hold my large clams closed.   One day it was just lying on top of my 100+ head hammer colony like it was basking in the sun.  We love this creature.  and when it goes someplace it shouldn't we snatch it up and relocate it with our bare hands.  No problems.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 21:39:40 by kattz »

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 20:06:36 »
The longest I've heard of a hobbyist keeping one alive is about 36 months. Many last less than a year, average is about 18 months.

Honestly, these are probably one of the few species of starfish that should be left in the sea.

Just the purple, or all Linckia's?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 20:19:20 »
Linckia's generally. The orange seem to do slightly better than the purple, which do slightly better than the blues.

Starfish scientists who are also in the hobby theorize that it's salinity or ammonia shock from being collected / bagged / shipped. The orange ones seem to get to us faster than the purple or blue, so likely live longer. However, stomach content analysis of many species show bryzoans, hydroids, bacterial films, and sponges. So unless you have a really big, really well established tank with a diverse microfauna, they'll likely eventually starve.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 23:04:41 »
Linckia's generally. The orange seem to do slightly better than the purple, which do slightly better than the blues.

Starfish scientists who are also in the hobby theorize that it's salinity or ammonia shock from being collected / bagged / shipped. The orange ones seem to get to us faster than the purple or blue, so likely live longer. However, stomach content analysis of many species show bryzoans, hydroids, bacterial films, and sponges. So unless you have a really big, really well established tank with a diverse microfauna, they'll likely eventually starve.

Nice to have you back. I was wondering about you. 

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 23:06:02 »
Thanks. Been keeping an eye on things, but been craazy busy with other stuff. :)

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:02:37 »
So should I not get one then?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:32:16 »
Not saying not to get one. Just saying dont expect it to last for several years.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 10:59:23 »
I would recommend a fromia sp star instead. They're algae-eaters, so if your tank is mature, they can find enough food.

Perhaps a nice serpent star or brittle star? They're a lot more fun to watch and interact with, too.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:29 »
I would second the fromia star.  I absolutely love mine, always bright, visible and active.  As ashlar said, if the food is present, they will happily live in your tank unlike a linckia.

Pic of one of mine.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 15:43:28 »
What all colors do they come in and are they reef safe?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 15:46:28 »
Completely reef safe....not sure on the colors.  Google should be able to answer that question though.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 15:47:58 »
Ok where did you get yours at?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 15:57:49 »
I picked mine up at a LFS whom I would no longer recommend to anyone.  However any reputable LFS should be able to get you one.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 19:54:27 »
Why would u no longer recommend then and who what is lfs?

Offline Ramathorn937

• Fry
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 20:03:46 »
I'm curious as well, if you'd like it to not be public could you send me a pm? I'm kinda new to the hobby so it woke be nice to know who to avoid

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 20:48:10 »
That particular LFS is not down your way.  He is local here in Findlay.   Travis....not sure if it's closer for you to go North or South......but I would recommend Dave at Aquaculture Underground in Columbus Grove. I would think he should be able to get some.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 21:40:25 »

Really?  We have had ours for well over 3 years and it's as healthy as a horse.  It's about 6" in diameter plus.  Someone mentioned feeding it.  No one knows exactly what they eat.  Ours just hangs out and roams about like cattle.  Beautiful creature.  Sometimes it likes to pretend that it's a carniverous starfish and tries to hold my large clams closed.   One day it was just lying on top of my 100+ head hammer colony like it was basking in the sun.  We love this creature.  and when it goes someplace it shouldn't we snatch it up and relocate it with our bare hands.  No problems.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...